1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: Sony LCD Projection TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by krungthep56, Feb 11, 2005.

1. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry, this thread doesn't really belong here, but I'm not sure where it fits?

Just returned from local Sony dealer who is sporting the 'new' LCD projection tellies (KF-WE42/KF-WE50/KF-WS60).

They are lightweight (50" = 37Kg!), slim and look blindingly sharp: they are also not as expensive as a plasma.

To my uninitiated eye, the 50" loked fantastic; does anyone have any information, advice on reviews and quality, or is the beast too new to find out about?

Google only gives me slim pickings; I should add that I live in Asia and the product might be here before the UK?

Regards,

HT

2. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These TV's are a bit of a sore point I'm afraid!

Now I'm not sure if the models you quote are the new versions of this TV as I currently own the 50" and its crap!

The PQ on the TV is great, in fact its super... the main problem is this tv goes through bulbs like I go through undies! There are known faults with power management etc and the TV will not last long without the need for a repair.

Now I know in the states a new HiDef version of this TV is out and I'm guessing these problems will have been sorted. Easy way to tell is obviously is it hidef? and the newer ones have an all silver casing, the older (crappy) ones have a silver shell and black bezel.

Hope this helps

3. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ooerrr: ta for warning, and I did ask the salesman about lamp life and replacement cost, but as per all of the usual untrained sales oiks, he had no idea and stabbed a guess at 4,000hrs; no cost was mentioned.

The brochure states that "Easy Replacement of UHP (Ultra High Pressure) Lamp", although it doesn't go so far anywhere as to state hours for expected lamp life. In fact the brochure rambles on to say "Sony innovation once again takes the lead with its proprietary new UHP replacement approach. Now you don't have to worry about time eroding your picture quality - with a few simple twists of the screw, you can replace the old lamp and restore your Grand Wega's performance to full vivid glory". So, that in mind, it's a bit scary that I cannae find info about life or cost?????

In real life the telly is silver with a black surround, which makes it sound as though its the old style, but then again it is 'High-Definition-Ready', so I am guessing that it's the new release??? (I am in Asia)

Any ideas on how I find out if the old wrinkles have been ironed out?

Regards,

HT

4. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, not sure about what model yours is - if its HD then it'll probably be a newer one. Try a google on Sonly LCD RP and check out the american sites, they have all the newer sets and there doesnt seem to be these lamp issues as with these old cack models we have in the UK.

5. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi g_unit; ta for suggestion. Seem to have found the same beast in the USA, and it is a new model - which may even wing its way to the UK at some stage, although they have the silver frame/surround on the USA model.

Have done as much trawling as I want to for now, will continue tomorrow, but the funny thing is I can't find any reference to the lamp life anywhere.

If I assume it will last 2,000hrs before replacement, and a new one is $300, then a 10,000hr lifecycle will add $1,200 to the initial cost (although I'd have to be glued to it day and night for those sort of hours), and to compare with say a plasma.

Out of interest, although you may be having problems with the lamp, how is the picture for watching regular programmes rather than DVD's? I read that Sony's are good at tuning and holding their signal??

Regards,

HT