1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-sizing In Photoshop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Garrett, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and want to get a picture resized say from 100 pixels to 500 yet keep the file size the same so if it is 350k before I want it 350 after I have altered the picture.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Why are you trying to resize the picture? - is it because you want to print it, or display it at a different size? When you shrink a picture are actually throwing away the pixels. Once these are gone, you can't get them back again by enlarging. Usually you rarely need to resize an image, because you can always zoom in and out using a paint package (like photoshop). Any kind of resizing is imperfect, and results in a deterioriation of the image quality. For printing purposes, you can specify an exact print size (eg. in inches - but this is different from resizing the image file itself). If you are trying to send the image by email, it is probably better to send the whole 350K image (un-resized), and the let the recipient decide whether they want to enlarge or shrink the image at their end. If you want to put the image on the web, you can specify the exact desired size on the web page, and the browser will handle the stretching or shrinking for you (but the original image file will be still be the regular size - 350k).

But if you still want to resize the image, and make a new file of the same size (in bytes), it is going to be difficult. As a rule you can't specify the exact output file size of the image file. However, you do have some control over the quality setting when saving jpeg files. So you could try experimenting with lowering the quality value, until it approaches a 350K file. However this will result in a loss of quality in the image itself - but it may be acceptable.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    Actually what I want to do is a picture to this site which has a max size of 500*500 pixels and a max file size about 107k. Most of the pictures I make 107k seem to make the picture less than 300 pixels. If I increase them to 500 my file size goes up so I cannot use it. What I was hoping was some way I can break that link.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy. Use Photoshop's "Save to Web" feature, and enter in your required file size- it'll automatically adjust compression to get the file to 107K

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    Thanks Nathan it worked see here :smashin:

But I cannot see where it says enter in your required file size, but I have used the save to web and played around in there.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Click on the little right arrow, that'll bring up the box (with the option to save to the desired size)

Attached Files:

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    Mine seems a bit different.

How do you take screen shots like that?

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Photoshop 7.

Press "Print Screen" button (usually top right somewhere) and paste into MS Paint (can't paste that screen into Photshop whilst you're in "Save to Web" feature.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,009
    Do you mean the Prt Scr button on the keyboard?
    If so did you print the screen out and scan you picture? Or is there a way to take a snap shoot with the computer that saves the picture to your HD?

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup PrtScr button.

Pressing this button copies the screen image to the clipboard (a temporary storage of copied images) you can then paste this into any application (word, excel, paint etc) It's called OLE- Object Linking & Embedding.

Press the button now when browsing forums, then go into paint, and press paste. What you what up on the screen will appear in paint.

I did the same for Taz's RC Plane thread- in FMS with the X-Wing, did the fly-by and pressed PrtScr button, then pasted in paint.

11. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hitting the Print Screen key on your keyboard takes a snapshot of the whole dektop and puts it in the clipboard (holding alt with print screen will snapshot just the active window) you can then paste from the clipboard into any program.

Edit: Oops, pipped to the post!