1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-releasing new albums - a rant !

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Ian182, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Just been looking on Play, and noticed that the Blink 182 album is being re-released with a DVD containing all the videos, plus some unreleased videos from previous albums.
    Embrace are doing something similar with their album, and The Libertines as well.

How annoying is this ?????

I've always bought albums on the day/week of release - I want them as soon as possible, but I want them legally. Now my "loyalty" to some of my favourite bands is being severely tested. I can accept 10 year anniversary rereleases (a la Manics and Oasis this year), but re-releasing something thats not even been out a year ? :mad: Cynical marketing ploy for Christmas I know, but its the REAL fans who suffer - you either end up paying for the same album twice, or you miss out on something.

Not fair.

End of rant :D

Ian.

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yep, this has now been common practice for a few years. AND IT SUCKS!
    The genuine fans will always buy the album either on day of release or within a week or 2 of it being available. These new versions are at best a cynical marketing ploy (which, to be honest, the music business excels at) but they are also aware that many genuine fans will buy the new album again (and again and again and again) IF YOU'RE A FAN OF THE ARTIST/BAND THEN YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE EVERYTHING! The music industry also understands this!
    However, they are a business after all and with reported sales of CD's soaring at this moment in time (PIRACY? Is this a similar myth to global terrorism - does it actually exist?) this practice will continue - REMEMBER KIDS, HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC :laugh:

3. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    No wonder CD sales are on the up - everybody's gotta buy two of everything now :D
    If record companies want to stop people using file sharing/downloading as a way of getting their music, then they should give us something back in return. Fair play to Embrace - they DVD that comes with the re-release of their album is being made available to download through their website. For the others, why not make the "free" DVD available separately, for the price of a single maybe, or offer a trade-in ?

Or, just make it available with the initial copies of the album, so that the real fans get it ? Kasabian, Ash, Franz Ferdinand and Muse all managed it........

Ian.

4. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    elton john is one of the worst for this :thumbsdow

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think you'll find E**** J*** is one of the worst FULL STOP! ;)

[​IMG]

6. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    hasn't Mozza just re-relased 'you are the quarry' with a bonus DVD?

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's certainly a pain, I'll admit to having been "conned" into buying a second version of Dookie (it had a green CD case :D ) and the 25th Anniversary version of London Calling, it did have a DVD and the Vanilla Tapes though so some genuinely new stuff. Plus 25 years isn't too bad I suppose.