1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-releases, DTS and Widescreen

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mad Max, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me, or are DVD editors taking the p*** out of all of us ?

Well, I noticed this: I Love the Lethal Weapon Series, and have had the first 3 VHS tapes forever. Of course, my first DVD was Lethal Weapon 4.

It's a great movie, and I've watched it 100's of times.

Some time ago, I started thinking that I might get the other 3 on DVD, and started looking for releases, and came across the most irritating fact:

I will have to choose between DTS and 2.35:1...

There are two versions out-there... The first was released in the original format of 2.35:1. Great, people can at last enjoy this great movie on DVD.

After that, and to "ENJOY THE ULTIMATE DVD EXPERIENCE" as editors put it, a DTS version comes out... Can anybody tell me why the hell did they cut the picture format down to 1.85:1?

Do they have any Idea what ULTIMATE is supposed to be ?

I've seen this with other releases too, of course but why ?

Am I the only one noticing this, or is anybody else as pi***d as I am ?

Cheers

Rui

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you CERTAIN they are actually 1.85:1 ?

The reason I ask is that I have a couple of DVD's that state they are 1.85:1 when I know they were 2.35:1 at the cinema...but on watching them I found that the studio had actually been referring to the fact that the DVD had an anamorphic transfer of 1.85:1 so that when it was played back it was in fact in 2.35:1....does that make sense??

I would check anyway with a few review site such as http://www.thedigitalbits.com/ and http://www.dvddebate.com/index.php to see if they are indead 2.35:1 as I dont have them myself, but I would imagine they are the correct aspect ratio and are anamorphic.

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

3. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it could be (couldn't find the reviews), but am I willing to risk it ? They should agree on a standard format naming !!!

Anamorphic is more confusing then ever, Widescreen missused, Etc, etc, etc... There should only be 3 different names:

1) Original format (anamorphic and non-anamorphic)

2) 16:9 (anamorphic and non-anamorphic)

3) 4:3

(They should specify if it's anamorphic or not).

Did I miss anything ?

Rui

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, just had a quick look at the first 3 films (directors cut/dts).

1 is presented as 1.78:1, a very slight crop on the original 1.85:1.

2 and 3 are presented as @ 2.35:1 (I didn't measure it exactly but it's close enough)

All three are 'enhanced for 16x9 televisions', ie: anamorphic.

The confusion may arise from the 'enhanced for 16x9 TV's' part. Bear in mind that this shouldn't define what aspect ratio the presentation is in.

IMHO, they should be giving the aspect ratio and either say 'enhanced..... ' (or anamorphic) or 'letterboxed' (presented in a 4x3 frame).

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 29-11-2000).]

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just double checked on IMDb, and LW 1 was definitely 1.85:1 at the cinema.

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    www.play247.com has details,including for example,Lethal Weapon 3 R1 DTS/DD,enhanced for 16:9 TVs in 2.35:1 @ £15.99 delivered.

Lethal Weapon 4 R2 £11.99 delivered,fantastic value.