Re Recordable Media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by transwest, Sep 13, 2004.

1. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have never used a DVD Recorder before & am just awaiting delivery of a Panasonic E55 (along with Tosh ZP48) from JL :clap: . I just looked on their site for ReRecordable Media,,,, & was almost about to order a TDK double sided RAM disc @ £9-95.
    After a quick glimpse at this Forum, I thought that I’d ask for advice here first.
    I don’t intend, at the moment, to actually keep much recording,,, hence ReWritable,,, I do though, want decent quality,,, but cost is also important to me.
    I have a few questions I’m afraid.
    1/ What is the ultimate quality disc that I ought to consider (for things that I do want to keep ?
    2/ What make/model/size ‘multi-purpose’ disc I ought to consider, where cost/quality ratio is important ?
    3/ Should I use only RAM discs on this machine ?
    4/ I also have a Tosh E220 player. Is there a media that I can record on using the E55, to play on the E220 ?
    5/ Where can I find out the difference / pros’n’cons between DVD-R,,, DVD+R,,, RAM etc ?
    Please also recommend a supplier of anything that you advise,,, as I am in the far South West of Cornwall I will probably have to Mail Order stuff.
    My initial purchases will rely directly on comments here, so please feel free to throw any advice in as well please.
    many thanks
    TranswesT

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you want the ultimate then get a (Verbatim my recommendation) RAM disc in a caddy - they are expensive though.

If you dont want a caddy based disc then the ultimate in my opinion is the Panasonic 4.7Gb discs (£12 for 5 from 7dayshop.com or £13 from panasonic eshop). Much cheaper than the one you refer to!

http://www.svp.co.uk/ do some other options and are just about the cheapest around. Plus they are fast and very customer focussed. I have just ordered some datasafe DVD-RAMS in the spindle but havent had a chance to try them yet.

3. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Many thanks,,,
    I'll have a look at svp. To clarify the JL price, it was for a Double sided 9.4g,,, but I thought it was a bit dear anyway !
    What does a 'caddy' do ?
    TranswesT

4. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Forget the caddy ones and the 9.4G ones as you have to turn them over half way through.

Go for 4.7 GB single sided non caddy 5 pack Panasonic ones. Best value :)

Regards

Jerry

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I dont disagree with Jerrysimon, but you did ask for "the ultimate quality disc that I ought to consider (for things that I do want to keep)" which was the only reason I suggested caddy.

In the old days, apparently DVD-RAM was very prone to surface damage and hence always came in a caddy (in fact I think it was type 1 which meant you couldnt remove it from the caddy), but (also apparently) the coatings have now improved and the caddy is no longer necessary. It does STILL offer more protection than a non caddy based disk though unless you need to play it in another player in which case you would probably need to remove it from the caddy which then makes it a pointless exercise.

The main thing you might want to consider for archive items is whether you want other players to be able to read them. Alot of players (most/all of the really cheap ones) wont read DVD-RAM, so you might want to use DVD-R for this. DVD-R is also alot cheaper so you could write to 2 different brands and have a backup at all times for less money than the -RAM disc would cost.

6. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Re reading your post I guess I should qualify by saying anything you want to keep/play on another non Panasonic drive you should use a DVD-r

I still think for re-recordable, Panasonic non caddy single sided 4.7DVD RAM disks are best value.

Regards

Jerry