Re: Question? Hope someone can help.

H

Hollie

Hi,
I recently bought a digital camcorder ( Panasonic PV-GS70D - mini dv ) in the USA and I'm having problems downloading anything from the camera onto my PC! I installed the software which came along with the package, called Panasonic DV-Studio, which I assumed would allow me to do this, however all it seemed to pick up were the still shots I had taken. I don't know whether this is something really simple to correct, or whether the correct software was simply not provided, but I'm terribly confused and worried about my purchase! If anyone could help I would be most greatful.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
Hollie

I don't know your cam or the software, but I think by the sounds of it that the software provided is only for getting still pics onto the PC.
If you have Windows XP then you already have capture & editing software with MS Movie Maker. Get the free upgrade to MM2 from the MS web site and away you go.
If you don't have XP then you will need to get something like Pinnacle Studio 9.
I don't know how the cam is connected to the PC, is it via USB? If so then this is no good for video capture. You must use a firewire connection, otherwise you will never get high quality video capture.

Mark.

Ahh yeah I have no problem capturing film when the camera is plugged into the computer. But I'm having trouble getting the things I have recorded off the tape in the camcorder?

Regards,
Hollie

Hollie,
I think I know the answer. It shows I've listened to what's been said as this is my first answer:clap: (I'll probably be shot down in flames by somebody who really knows but...)
I believe you have connected you Cam to your PC using USB. This is fine for stills but won't transfer video. You will need to get a fire wire 6pin to 4pin. You can pick these up for between £5-£100 depending on where you look and what quality you want. Apperently, for the stuff we do, the bargin bucket cables will do. One thing though, don't get a cable longer that 2m, as one posting I read reckoned that this is the limit where things can be transferred successfully.:lesson:
You will also need the appropriate port on your PC.
(How was that lads!!);)

Ahh thanks so much, I didn't realise a firewire connection was necessary, oops! I will look into that asap thank you very much "thebrummy_one"!

Regards,
Hollie

I have no problem capturing film when the camera is plugged into the computer.
What you are doing here by the sound of things is useing your cam as a webcam. USB is fine for this but as I said above is no good for full quality DV capture and for this you will need a firewire connection - as also pointed out by thebrummy_one.
If you don't have firewire already on your PC then a bog standard firewire PCI card should cost you around £15 and will include a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. Have a look for this online as Dixons/PC World etc will charge a lot more.

Mark.

No I'm not intending to use it as a webcam :\ Umm, I think there has been a mix up somewhere, I can easily connect my camcorder to my computer using a USB connection and directly capture film, or use it as a webcam. I cannot however, get the previously recorded on a tape film, from the camera and onto my computer, in the same manner as one would download photographs from a digital camera, they're stored in the memory card, like my footage is stored on the tape in my digital camcorder? I don't know much about technical speak when it comes to camcorders as I'm new to this, but I hope maybe that made my original post a little clearer.

I'm gathering that to get my film off the tape in my camcorder I need a firewire connection. I'll look into this.

Regards,
Hollie

Hi, I have several of these camcorders and can say they are great. I think your question is how to get your video from mini dv into your computer. You do need the firewire cord that has the small end that plugs into the camcorder to the right of where you attach battery or the plate to the plug in cord and to the firewire (regular size end) to your computer. I would suggest either using Pinnacle Studio 9, 10 or 11 or using Adobe Premiere as editing software that you will need to capture video from mini dv into the software program then you will have to export into avi , mov, wmv ect or whatever format you want to play back on computer or burn to dvd.

Many software editing programs for video will accept capture from your camera. The software Panasonic includes is for getting the pictures and anything on your sd card in the camcorder but not video.

Hope this helps and good luck

Randy:hiya:

Actually some Pansonics do allow DV import via USB with their software but it is a bit of a "non standard way" and this problem may be related to that specific software and how it works

As such I would reiterate what has been said before ( if you havent already cracked it)

Ditch the USB connection and Panasonic's software. With firewire .. you have access to a host of better software and ( hopefully) less problems such as this

If you have sorted it.. let us know so that others can learn from your experience .. and you dont keep getting "out of date" advice

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom