Re-posted Help with Samsung T220HD

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by jackcp50, Feb 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jackcp50

jackcp50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, new to the forum as i've just taken delivery of my first ever HD ready screen. Guess what, I already have a problem, a self inflicted one however.

I am using the screen as an external laptop monitor, connected through HDMI to DVI, this works fine and having a HD desktop is really nice. However this model also has a freeview digital TV tuner built in along with component and scart inputs. I tuned in the TV for the first time and was getting a significantly lower quality signal than I used to get from my Philips set top box. So I went into the DTV menu software screen where you can change the software the montior uses for its EPG etc, there were two versions of software installed on the monitor. I switched the version to try and get a better picture and now when I put the monitor into DTV mode it turns its self onto standby mode and back on again repeatedly until you change the source.

Because of the menu design I cannot access the correct menu without being on DTV mode where there isn't enough time for me to navigate to the correct screen to change the version back before the screen goes black. An obvious solution would be a master re-set but I cannot find a solution on the net, or a mention of it in the manual.

I can just plug my old set top box in for DTV and the unit works in all other input modes but as its a new buy its bugging me that it doesnt quite work properly.

I have already e-mailed samsung support but with no response so I plan to ring them tomorrow in the hope of a way to do a master re set.

Otherwise all I can do is try and return the unit to amazon as faulty. What do people think?

Thanks alot

2. debully

debully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :bump:

anyone know how to solve this? I have a spanking new telly and thought I'd be clever installing what I thought was the lastest firmware from the menu, only to have crippled the digi terestrial tuner.

Dang!

3. debully

debully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answering my own query:

Just rang Samsung tech who said that it's a known problem across the range and the only way of rectification is via a Samsung repair centre to 'repair the firmware'

Shoddy to put 2 firmwares in a TV and give the user the option to switch them at a very friendly level, knowing that one will irreversibly bugger the DTV up.

Poor show Samsung.

4. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Mod Comment: @ jackcp50: I have deleted your other twin thread, in the future stick to posting your question in the one thread as multiple posts clogs up the forums and instead of having the info in the one place it gets spread over the posts making it confusing for anyone who is looking for a similar answer.

Curly

5. jackcp50

jackcp50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, will do in future, just thought i'd re-post to try and get an answer.

Solved the problem the same way suggested above, strange how samsung know about the problem but yet still allow the user to change the firmware.

A master re-set for this model incase it's of use to anyone is info, then menu, then mute then power on the remote in series (not simultaneously as suggested by samsung support).

On a better note, samsung support were very helpful and the free of charge collection delivery service is very good.

6. debully

debully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jack - can you let me know how long the turnaround time is please?

Was gonna just RMA it, but don't really see why the retailer should bear the expense of Samsung's balls-up (especially when they supplied it so cheaply!).

Cheers,

Ben

7. jackcp50

jackcp50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah mate, it was back within 5 days and that was over the weekend I think. I was gonna return it to amazon aswell but I reckon this is easier as you dont have to shell out any more cash for postage etc.

Its probably worth doing, just gonna annoy you if you dont get it fixed. Was hard not having my screen for nearly a week tho.

8. debully

debully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the reply dude, will get it sorted when I'm away for a few days - wont miss it then.

One thing I really like about this unit, the ability to set 3 on and off alarms. BBC News wakes me up much better than my alarm clock which I can easily sleep through.

9. jonomac

jonomac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone possibly verify how the alarms can be set? Can't find any info on them on the net. Just received my T220HD five days ago and the ability to set a wakeup alarm would be a welcome extra to a great tv.

Cheers, jono