1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

re pearl harbour and dts query r2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mick23, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just hired pearl harbour region2 from local blockbusters not sure if it is dts etc only states dd5.1 cannot find a review that states this thank you all for help sofar

2. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it doesn't have dts, couldnt say about the es though.
    couldn't you have just put it in your dvd player and found out?

3. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...alright children, pay attention now:

- "ES" is for "6.1" dts soundtracks...

- "EX" is for "6.1" DD soundtracks...

...in other words: there's no such thing as dts EX ... and nor is there any such thing as DD ES...

http://www.docdvd.com/exdvds.shtml

Class dismissed!

. . . :eek: . . .

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ouch pedant on the loose :eek: ,

Where are DD ES and dts EX mentioned in the question and reply?

You cannot infer the confusion that you have from what has been posted. Indeed, the title of the thread reads:

- no "dts EX" mentioned here
    - ex could, and probably, refers to the DD format.

Perhaps in the light of brief and informal communication that tends to be the norm on this forum, you should a little more accomodating and less patronising.

5. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Please.... not here European.:confused:

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    If one wishes to be pedantic, there is no such thing as DD 6.1 (not as described here or in common use anyway).

DD EX has a matrixed, non discrete, back channel hence the term DD 5.1 EX

Only DTS ES Discrete is a true 6.1 channel system. DTS ES Matrix is directly comparable to DD EX, a 5.1 system with a matrix rear channel (with either 1 or 2 speakers).

THX recommended the use of 2 back channels, hence the appearance of 7.1 amplifiears, though this only refers to either the channels of amplification (7) or the number output after processing (many were 5 channel amp designs with another 2 line outputs for the rears or fronts as desired by the customer)

Yamaha' previous flagship had only a single rear amplification channel hence it's description as a 6.1 design - nothing to do with DTS ES Discrete however, which at the time was a Denon exclusive.

Even with the THX recommended 2 rear speaker setup the rear channel is mono.

Back to night school European, must try harder!:p

7. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "...you should a little more accomodating and less patronising."

...ooh ... touchy, aren't we bh?...

"Where are DD ES and dts EX mentioned in the question and reply?"

...ahh... mick23 posted: "has pearl harbour region2 got dts es or ex ? soundtrack"

"You cannot infer the confusion that you have from what has been posted."

...I most certainly can infer some confusion from that rather awkwardly phrased query - confusion on the part of the poster, that is...

...danielzavitz replied:

"it doesn't have dts, couldnt say about the es though."

...more confusion: it would seem reasonable to assume that -in common with many people- danielzavitz has a somewhat hazy idea of the various sound formats - if he didn't , he wouldn't have said "couldn't say about the es" after stating unequivocally "it doesn't have dts"

...not something to worry about, really, since I'm sure the vast majority of people who visit this esteemed Forum - including myself! - do not own the requisite (and rather expensive!) state-of-the-art equipment that would allow them - and me! - to decode - and thus actually listen to - the 6.1 (as opposed to plain vanilla 5.1) sound...

(signed) Passing Pedant (with too much time on his hands)

. . . :eek: . . .

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tthe reason i asked if pearl harbour r2 had dts there was part of a review for denon 3802 where it was tested with 5 speakers in dd5.1 with se7en (do not know if r1 0r 2 not stated in article) then played with 7 speakers in what was described as dts-es discreate 6.1 mix of se7en i hired pearl harbour r2 put it in dvd player it shows only dd , hence my earlier posting regaring dts and if it was on dvd disk and wether the denon would recognise this on 3082 front display thank you

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Okay Folks,

As my duty is Forum Moderator, I don't like to see (petty) arguments start spilling out into full-blown wars.

So, without meaning to be a killjoy, this is the final word on the thread:

1) Admittedly, the question posed by Mick23 could be misinterpreted, unless you have a good knowledge of all the different sound formats, and what each format actually utilises. As such, I don't think it was entirely out of place for European to try and clarify things. Nor do I think, he was trying to be pedantic or patronising.

2) Bh - I'm sure Mick23 and everyone else appreciates you also trying to clarify things, but without meaning to sound rude, just because something isn't mentioned in a post, doesn't mean to say that it doesn't exist. I don't understand all the different sound formats, so all this business of ES, EX, Discrete sound etc, all make little sense to me. So, European and Confucious trying to quantify things for everyone is okay.

3) Regardless of who was right or wrong, let's just accept that with something like sound formats, some people will not be as knowledgeable as others, or may have a different understanding, that they think is correct - even if that may not be the case. Without contradictions, or other forum members stating that X person is wrong, then we'd never expand our own knowledge of all things DVD.

Okay, I think that about sums it up. I hope no one objects, but I am now closing this thread. If you feel like I am being too heavy handed, or feel I should leave the thread open, then please e-mail me via my profile, or contact Spectre instead.

I hope that everyone is okay with my decision.

Pooch

10. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pooch,

My concern was not over the content of the thread but the way that it was initially responded to:

and

Agreed Pooch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.