Re: New Canon HF10 /HF100 Part 2

Hi Dave,

I just had a look at your "Florida band" clip.
I was very impressed with how well you filmed it. Also with how well the HF took a full blast from the large red spot on stage.
The wire on the fence was clear and the tower struts also. I'm wondering about the interleve bars on the fence ( the one that keeps the public back from the stage).
Is that in the capture, or just because of the re-size?

I'm going to have a look at the Go Kart clip, for motion....any clip with a zoom?

Thanks again.

Hi Dave,

I just had a look at your "Florida band" clip.
I was very impressed with how well you filmed it. Also with how well the HF took a full blast from the large red spot on stage.
The wire on the fence was clear and the tower struts also. I'm wondering about the interleave bars on the fence ( the one that keeps the public back from the stage).
Is that in the capture, or just because of the re-size?

I'm going to have a look at the Go Kart clip, for motion....any clip with a zoom?

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Im very pleased with the way that footage came out. Especially considering i had to keep an eye on my kids running around, thats why its not too steady :rolleyes:
I had the camera in manual exposure and this helped a great deal with the lighting. Also the audio with locked in manual. Its great that you can see a level indication in the LCD.
Im not sure what you are getting at about the interleaving bars. If your referring to the shimmering i think thats down to noise but ill check the original footage tonight.

Im not sure if i have much with zoom as i try not to use it much, and if i do i tend to cut it out during editing.

Hi Again.
It's the weekend here in New Zealand, so I get to sit down and play film maker for a while.

We had a look at the "Cart" cilp on a large Mac Monitor.

It looked pretty good.

You do a great job of keeping the main things in shot.
(all while keeping an eye on the mini mees running about)

Thanks for the new word "shimmer"..I had no way to name that effect.

By the way, the shimmer did not show up in the "Florida band" clip when viewed on the large Mac Monitor.

I'm really interested in your idea of editing out Zooms and Pans.

It made me ask the question,
"Do we really need Zooms and Pans at all?"

Are they just some dated tool that can be done away with?

What function do they exactly serve?

Hi Again.

I'm really interested in your idea of editing out Zooms and Pans.

It made me ask the question,
"Do we really need Zooms and Pans at all?"

Are they just some dated tool that can be done away with?

What function do they exactly serve?

Thanks for all the comments.

I looked at the original footage on my TV and that fence looked fine. Guess its just something in the conversion or the way its displayed on Vimeo.

I'm more a "document it" person rather than getting arty, i guess i just don't have to time to sit down and organise my footage properly.

As far as the zoom goes i guess we are all guilty of over using it at some point.
what changed the way i use zoom was when i read last year that you don't see (or hardly ever) zooming in films or on TV. I hadnt looked at it like that beofre.
It made me think that maybe this one thing can make the biggest impact on how my footage looks.
The zoom lens is still very valid IMHO, but more for framing.
So now i try and edit out the zoom movment if i can and i think my footage looks a lot less "dad out with the kids" and more thought out.
Of course its not ;)

Ha! so true.
I found this when thinking about the Vertigo Zoom trick. Hitch is famous for that zoom.

Dolly Zoom

Better get back to the main topic of the Canon HF series.

"Do we really need Zooms and Pans at all?" Are they just some dated tool that can be done away with? What function do they exactly serve?
Any camera move is justified if it adds something to the scene or the story couldn't be told without it. For instance how else, other than by panning the camera, can a subject moving left or right be tracked?

Why is Sony Vegas rendering WMV twice?

I'm using these project settings:

Frame size: 1920x1080
Field order: Upper field first
Pixel aspect ratio: 1.0
Frame rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
Pixel format: 8-bit
Motion blur type: Gaussian
Deinterlace method: Interpolate

I'm rendering to WMV with a progressive field order and 17 Mbps bit rate. The first frame of my clip is rendered when the render process is at 0%, and the last frame of my clip is rendered when the render reaches 50%. When the render process reaches 51%, the render starts again from the beginning and overwrites the .wmv file that was created during the first 50%.

Is this normal? Why is it happenining?

Hi, I'm not sure, but I have heard that Sony uses a simplified version of the AVCHD Coder/decoder..and that can cause problems.

It's probably just doing a double-pass in order to improve the quality of the render.

Using the settings I mentioned two posts above, it's taking upwards of 18 hours to render a 48 minute clip on a dual core 2.66 GHz/4 GB RAM machine. Doesn't that seem a bit, uh, long?

Also, when I render using Sony's AVC .mp4 encoder, the file ends up being greater than 4 GB in size, which errors the render process and corrupts the rendered file. Is it not possible to render .mp4 files larger than 4 GB? I would much prefer .mp4 over .wmv, mainly because it's faster and seems to be more widely accepted.

I need to get another SDCH card and I've seen a few cheap 16gb card recently, problem is they are all class 4.. Would a class 4 be enough to record in top quality on the HF10/HF100? Would I see a difference from Class 6?

Whats the cheapest card you've seen?

Would a class 4 be enough to record in top quality on the HF10/HF100?

Yep.

Would I see a difference from Class 6?

If you use a card reader to transfer the files, the card reader will read from the class 4 card slightly slower, but depending on the speed of your computer, the card reader and the amount of data transfered, you might not even notice the difference.

Also one more thing to consider.
Not all Class 4 cards are slower than all class 6.
Im pretty sure this class thing is a minimum speed rating, not a maximum.

Could be wrong though.

Also one more thing to consider.
Not all Class 4 cards are slower than all class 6.
Im pretty sure this class thing is a minimum speed rating, not a maximum.

Could be wrong though.

Hi Dave, you're correct. One would still expect a class 6 card to be faster than a class 4 though (if only because one assumes it has been manufactured to a higher level, though it may be a case of 'speed-binning' like they do with processors).

Hi Guys,
I have decided to sent back my hf100 and bought hfs100 instead. I have also bought wide angle lens and spare battery for hf100.

I can still use my extra battery as it is compatible with HFS100 but I am left with CANON WD-H37II Wide-Angle Conversion Lens which I cannot use as hfs100 has wider lens.
I have put it on eBay CANON WD-H37II Wide-Angle Conversion Lens NEW on eBay (end time 19-Aug-09 15:19:27 BST)

If anyone is interested you could help my out buying it :)

Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi Dave, you're correct. One would still expect a class 6 card to be faster than a class 4 though (if only because one assumes it has been manufactured to a higher level, though it may be a case of 'speed-binning' like they do with processors).

Yeah, your right. when i go looking for a fast card i would always look at the highest class as, like you say, you would expect it to be faster than a lower class. Just not always the case.

If anyone is interested you could help my out buying it :)

When you're asking £24 more than some etailers (admittedly none of them have it in stock as usual), I'll pass thanks :)

I have bought it for £159 from one of the Amazon affiliates and paid a lot for delivery from France because as you have admitted nobody has it in stock…
I am not trying to make any money from it just recovering some costs of unwise decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a PAL UK version of the HF10 and will be moving to the US - can this camcorder be set to output NTSC directly? (Can't seem to find out from the manual.)

If not, what are my options for using this in the US?

Thx.

Dan

hmm... searched this thread and gid a quick google search but couldn't see much info on this..

over the last few weeks my HF100 has started to develop lens/zoom creeping.

ie, you don't have the even touch the zoom switch at the top, it just auto zooms all the way by itself at random which is VERY annoying when using tripods etc...

i'm still within my 12 month warranty but just seeing if anyone else had come across this problem?

Thanks

spotted that on a video on vimeo, the guy said it was to demonstrate the probem to Canon engineers. Think he said he was going to have to send it back.

Hi folks,

New to the site and recently acquired an HF100 and was wondering if I could get some assistance. I am hoping to make a shorter (maybe 20-30 mins in length) motocross (dirt bikes) video this summer. I haven't used this particular camera for filming yet, so I am wondering if you guys could inform me on the best settings to use for filming this type of movie. What settings should be set where? What should be turned off/on? I also plan on doing some slow motion, what are the best settings for that for smooth playback? I've got an iMac and FCE which will be my editing tools but the filming stuff is where I need some help with.

TIA

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom