1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re:help Needed Repairing Mini Dv Cassette

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by G0UDG, Oct 13, 2003.

1. G0UDG

G0UDG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me is it possible to repair a mini dv cassette after it was chewed at the beginning of the tape due to a dirty record head on my canon mv 600i camcorder?

If splicing is possible where can I get this done?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've done this myself with old audio cassettes, but never DV.
    If the tape is chewed at the start then I would just open the case, remove the tape from the reel and cut away the chewed bit. Then reconnect the good tape to the reel and put the case back together. Always worked with no problems on audio cassettes, so don't think it will be any different with a DV tape.

Mark.

3. G0UDG

G0UDG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply mark your help is very much appreciated as is help from other sources.

4. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Seeing as MiniDV video heads are tiny, I'd be VERY careful about putting in a damaged tape for fear of damaging the video heads.

If you repair the tape, do as Mark says above, cut the duff bit off (Hopefully it's at the start of the tape) refit it andwind it on a few seconds so that no dirt or grease that got on the tape when you fixed it gets on the heads. The first couple of seconds of video tape is see through so that when it's rewound, a light sensor detects the start of the tape and shutsdown the rewind mode, if this seethrough part of the tape is missing then if you rewind it, it'll not stop even though it's at the start.

If it's broken half way through then you'll have to use some repair tape. THis is incredibly fiddly even on an audio tape, so for miniDV it's like repairing a watch. Make sure the sticky repair tape (not selotape!) is on the rear side not the front. Wind the tape past this repair part so that the join doesn't run past the video heads (to avoid damage to them).

Copy the tape and DON'T rewind it or use it ever again.

If the tape isn't too important then just chuck it out.. the potential damage that could occur by running it are too high....

A careful repair and use it once and you'll probably have no problems. However, as you can probably tell, the video heads are small and fragile, a rough bit of tape, join or goo will dirty or damage the heads which you don't want happening!