re-formatting an early iPOD

bradalax

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a first generation Mac iPOD (5gb).

Trying to reset my apple mac and iPOD back to factory settings, the eMAC is fine, but I'm having problems getting the iPOD reformatted to take my name of it.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

:thumbsup:

I don't want to sound patronising, but you've tried just clicking on the iPod's name in the Finder to highlight it and allow name editing?

You'll need the iPod updater to return the unit to default state, unless you mean the settings such as backlight and contrast, etc. In that case, reset the iPod - Menu and Play buttons depressed for about 5 secs until it turns the display off and reboots. Should be back to how it was when it came from the factory.
I think the button press mentioned above is correct - check either iPodlounge.com or Apple.com -Support tab.

Doh! - never thought of that Nick. tried it and it did let me rename.

I was trying the iPOD update, but the latest one won't work with my iPOD (one of the first generation 5gb ones)

So should that be it? no more info about me on it? (going to sell it so want to make sure it's wiped!)

:thumbsup:

There never was any info about you on it, unless you had contacts and calendar stuff on it.
The iPod updater should still work with G1 iPods - I'll check.
Yep - 26/6/05 one has software revision 1.5 for the original G1 and G2 iPods - same as the 2 latest ones (23/9 & 12/10). So there's no reason running that shouldn't work, and restore the unit to default config.
You can also wipe the drive as well, then run the updater to put the SW back on it again.
I doubt really if anyone is going to bother running SW to find out what songs you may have had on it and recover them. Probably more hassle than it's worth.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom