Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Re-Format or Delete

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jda, Feb 11, 2004.

1. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some thing I just read prompted me to think about this.

Once you have finished watching all programmes on -RW/RAM do you re-format the disc or just delete each programme ???

ie Deleleting 3 programmes = 3 writes to disc

what does a format do ???

What about defective block management ??

I've read that a format clears the disc of any info it may have come across about bad areas on the disc.

Is this true??? - The oposite to HD management!

Jim

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It is a good idea to re-format occasionally. Marked areas that are bad are not affected by formatting.
    Formatting returns the disc to new and unused state. Delete just flags the file saying it can be overwritten if the space is needed. However this can mean new files are laid down in a fragmented manner using up th unused space first, particularly if you have been doing a lot of trimming and editing, which leaves little bits of space all over.
    All this applies to -ram which is the equivalent to a hard drive in use, I don't know if rw is different.