Question Re-decorating room - speaker placement question - picture inside

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by uptown47, Jan 24, 2018.

1. uptown47

uptown47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

I'm re-decorating my living-room. I'm putting my TV on the chimney breast and need advice on speaker placement.

I'm buying a brand new system and was really interested in employing "Atmos". I don't know a lot about it though and also don't know where would be the best placement for speakers as there isn't any "obvious" positions for them (especially the rear ones).

Here is my room plan...
    toPost.jpg

So..... here are my questions if anyone can answer them....
    1) Do you think the front speakers would be better nearer the TV or spaced out more to the edges of the room?
    2) Where would be the best place for the rear speakers?
    3) Would I be able to get "Atmos" speakers in this arrangement?
    4) As I understand it, the Atmos speakers are flush to the ceiling above the heads of the people viewing? If this is the case, is it possible to get flush speakers for the rear speakers also (my wife loves the idea of having a "home theatre" but doesn't want "unsightly" speakers). Or would speakers that are flush to the ceiling not have the direction/quality needed?

If anyone can answer any (or even all) of those questions it would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

John :)

2. SparkerB

SparkerB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Fronts wide apart is good but you will.need to fine tune the proximity to the walls to avoid boundary gain I.e build up of rebounding bass.

Rear I would place the right one in parallel with the left along the stairs. Also move the left one so it mirrors the location of the right one. I.e move it so it's in line with the arm of the chair.

You can use unveiling speakers for atmos no problem. Also for rear. You are just limited in terms of best performance and flexibility for moving them to achieve the best results.

You can get attractive speakers which are not too big for rear. The ideal is all speakers the same on the 5 and atmos near best match.

Don't worry too much just get a processor with room correction. It will help compensate for placemrnt errors and tone diffeneces between speakers.

3. uptown47

uptown47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Sparker

Many thanks for the brilliant information and taking the time to answer. Very much appreciated!

Just a couple of clarification points.. when you say "fine tune the proximity to the walls" is it better to have the speakers further away from the walls or nearer and, either way, what kind of distance are we talking? (i.e. 1mm, 10mm, 100mm?).

Also, I wondered about getting ceiling speakers for the rear and then having some speakers to the side for a 7.1.2 set up.

I saw this picture on the dolby website....
    speakers.jpg

And so I wondered about this set up but still unsure about the side speakers whether or not they'll be accepted by The Leader of the Opposition so thought I'd ask what you thought about this design either with/or without the side speakers?

toPost.jpg

Red = Rear ceiling speakers
    Yellow = Atmos ceiling speakers
    Blue = side speakers (not sure of proper name for these sorry?)
    Purple = front speakers

Thanks again for all your help :)

Attached Files:

4. SparkerB

SparkerB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Your dots are good. The distance of fronts can be a foot or less . Best to try them and see how the sound . What about your sub? Place one or two on tv wall. The challenge is avoiding a null at you seating area. When everything is wired goto YouTube and place a frequency sweep on your system. When you hear a drop in volume that's an area you need to fix. Placement of speakers can help.. Then room treatment..then room correction. The less room correction has to do the better.

Most formats are 5.1 but 7.1 is often upmixed along with atmos by a decent processor.

5. uptown47

uptown47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Sparker, thanks for the info. I had never heard of a frequency sweep on the system. That's a great idea!

I have a Sony STR-DN1080 amp that I'm going to use for this setup. As far as I know that's a decent amp and will be able to run the 7.1.2 setup that I'm looking at?

I was just going to have a floor mounted sub. I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter where the sub goes as the speaker just fires downwards on to the floor anyway? Is that correct?

Thanks again for all the great advice. I appreciate you taking the time to respond :)

6. SparkerB

SparkerB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi. It does matter about sub placement. A null is where the bass can sound low when you sit down and load when you stand somewhere else for example. So placing your sub in the right location can help. Just have a play and enjoy before committing to any given location.. within reason. Good luck

7. uptown47

uptown47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Will do Sparker! Thank you :)

8. LovingLife69

LovingLife69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Loving the layout diagrams, as above speaker placements look sound. It’s just trying / playing with the detail.
    Just finished transforming my dining room to a movie room and one piece of advice I took from a friend and a fair few YouTube videos was install second sub and my god it sounds amazing.

Best of luck

9. BriD

BriD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    If the red dots are going to be rear channels (i.e. 7.1.2) then you really want them lower down as they'll drastically reduce the Atmos effect.

If there's nowhere to put ear level rears at all, you may want to consider going for 5.1.4 and nudging the yellow dots a touch further to get Top Front and Top Rear configuration :)

10. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +919
    The Sony receiver is 7 channels, so you’ll only be able to create a 5.1.2 Atmos setup

11. uptown47

uptown47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the great advice. I didn't know the Sony was only 7 channels.

I'll look into whether it can do 2 sub woofers. I've never heard of that before?
    What is better about 2 subs?? Are they playing different frequencies? Or do you just put them in opposite ends of the room to give a kind of stereo effect??

BriD, I'll take on board what you said and look into 5.1.4 (5.2.4?) or increasing the distance between the rears and the atmos speakers.

Thanks everyone for all your help. it's really appreciated :)

12. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +919
    7.1.2 is 7 x main channels (L,C,R and Surround L/R), 1 x SW, 2 x Front (Or Rear) Height (Or Surround Back L/R if not going "Atmos") L/R. The Sony has 2 x Sub pre-outs, so can output LFE to two subs if you want the expense!

13. uptown47

uptown47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks John, that explains a lot.

I've been doing a bit of reading on having multiple sub woofers. I just wondered if it mattered whether all the subs were the same type? I have an old sub woofer that I don't use and just wondering if I could add that to the mix when I get my new speakers in order to give me a second sub?

I can imaging it being an issue with the other surround speakers (with regards imbalancing impedances) but (with the little I've read) it seems that multiple subs are just there to distribute the bass more evenly throughout the room and to reduce "room resonance"?

I'm not sure the missus would go with having another sub anyway (she's already asked if I really need the one I've got as it's an eye-sore) but I'm just thinking, if I managed to hide it away in a floor-less cupboard or something, whether it would even be do-able? Or whether I'd need the expense of buying two the exact same?

Thanks for all your help :)

14. LovingLife69

LovingLife69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Uptown,

I think you can mix and match but you have to tweak around with cross over and volume settings.
    Basically it’s to distribute the bass more evenly and I have mine front under the centre channel and the back between my rear surrounds and Listening now I can’t locate the bass drivers.
    To be honest this was a complete test for me. I was lucky enough to grab a cheap duplicate of my sub off flybay.
    Yep the room has to be lady compatible too :)
    All the best

15. uptown47

uptown47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks LL.

Things have changed with regards the decorating and we're not starting it now until the end of Feb but will have a play around with speaker positions etc and will try the two subs just to test it.

Thanks again for all your advice :)