Re-colour speaker grille?

DavidT

Has anyone been able to revitalise black fabric speaker grilles? The grille on my centre speaker has faded and needs bringing back to black.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Black fabric dye? Never tried it on speakers, but it worked to get rid of some light marks on some black fabric.

Dolus

Perhaps it just needs a clean. :)

DavidT

Black fabric dye? Never tried it on speakers, but it worked to get rid of some light marks on some black fabric.
Not sure a dye will work, maybe a fabric paint will though.

DavidT

Perhaps it just needs a clean. :)
Tried that, it has definitely faded. Where the centre speaker sits in adjacent to a sunny window.

DavidT

Quite a difference in colour, the top grille is the centre compared to my other grille.

Attachments

• IMG_20210210_095837.jpg
    IMG_20210210_095837.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 74

DavidT

Dolus

That may not work. Like most dyes it is only suitable for natural fabric.

From their web site:
Our Fabric Dye is "Micro-Fibre Reactive", meaning it works by curing into the fibres of the material. As a result, our Fabric Dye is most suitable when working with natural fabrics (e.g cotton or wool). This means that the dye may not be suitable for any synthetics or hybird items (e.g nylon or polyester)
250ml Liquid Fabric Dye for Sofa, Clothes, Denim, Shoes & more. Repairs & Re-Colours

Conrad

Could you remove and re-cover?

DavidT

That may not work. Like most dyes it is only suitable for natural fabric.

From their web site:
Our Fabric Dye is "Micro-Fibre Reactive", meaning it works by curing into the fibres of the material. As a result, our Fabric Dye is most suitable when working with natural fabrics (e.g cotton or wool). This means that the dye may not be suitable for any synthetics or hybird items (e.g nylon or polyester)
250ml Liquid Fabric Dye for Sofa, Clothes, Denim, Shoes & more. Repairs & Re-Colours
I will probably end up spending more money than the cost of a whole new grille from QA!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
My experience is that the dye will work, but it just won't be permanent. Unless you intend to wash them, I think you should be ok.

DavidT

@DavidT
Please let us know how you get along, I've got a similar problem. ;)
I am impressed, the dye works and my speaker grille is now black again. I followed the instructions and mixed a small amount with 50% water and painted the dye onto the grille with a brush. I did two coats 2hrs apart. I was a bit worried about clogging up the grille but it didn't. The grille took nearly 4 hours to dry completely and the instructions say it takes 72 hours to be fully colourfast.

ddlooping

I am impressed, the dye works and my speaker grille is now black again. I followed the instructions and mixed a small amount with 50% water and painted the dye onto the grille with a brush. I did two coats 2hrs apart. I was a bit worried about clogging up the grille but it didn't. The grille took nearly 4 hours to dry completely and the instructions say it takes 72 hours to be fully colourfast.
Excellent :)
Any chance of (before and) after pictures? ;)

DavidT

Excellent :)
Any chance of (before and) after pictures? ;)
If you look at post #6 the colour of the top grille is now a bit deeper black than the bottom grille.

Last edited:

DavidT

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_140757.jpg
    IMG_20210216_140757.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210210_095837.jpg
    IMG_20210210_095837.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 56

luvaudio

Novice Member
Has anyone been able to revitalise black fabric speaker grilles? The grille on my centre speaker has faded and needs bringing back to black.
I put allot of thought into this subject as my speaker fabric grille looked faded / not new looking. I took a microfiber cloth cleaned in washing machine detergent, after cleaned ran through cold water and ringed most of water out. Applied damp microfiber cloth gently across speaker fabric, let dry thoroughly. Took another microfiber (New) cloth and applied Meguiar's Ceramic Trim Restorer to microfiber in a 3-inch circle, work into cloth so just looks damp. Then gently apply to speaker cloth with up and down motion, carefully run cloth on inside of speaker frame & outside. I was in Aww... after doing this. ( : Hard to actually tell with phone camera, before and after and correct lighting.

Attachments

• G220316_HybridCeramicTrimRestorer-Hero_web.png
    G220316_HybridCeramicTrimRestorer-Hero_web.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 13

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV