1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-clock Probs

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tim Cooper, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Right, i've done some reet good testin with reclock at the weekend & for me reclock didn't work.
    I don't really suffer from st sts stutter, except the killer pan's in ST Insurrection Toy Story etc, after i installed reclock however my hcpc wasn't stuttering more dropping/adding frames which makes me suspect that the 71.928 i use for NTSC material wasn't working well with Reclock which incidently requires, as far i can make out, "rounded" resolutions i.e 48hz & 72hz for NTSC stuff & 50hz,75hz, 100hz for pal stuff.
    I also could not get reclock clock to go green on pal stuff (75hz on my HCPC) got it to go yellow......hmmm.
    Def' think it has potential but if you don't suffer from judder, don't bother......wait until it becomes a little more "polished"
    Cheers.
    Tim.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Tim,
    I agree, ReClock doesn't seem to detect non-integer refresh rates that we can set with PowerStrip (usually for NTSC DVD's) like 71.928Hz. I've written to the author with some suggestions about this.

Can you try it with having set the Media adaptation speed to "Original speed", in place of the Auto(best) default.

You will find this option in the ReClock Properties dialog that you get by double-clicking on the ReClock red/yellow/green clock icon that appears in the system tray when playing video with it enabled.

Q: Does that fix your NTSC Insurrection pans?
    Q: What's it like for you with PAL stuff.

From the readme;
    - yellow : ReClock cannot find a suitable speed adaptation (for example the video card refresh rate is not a multiple of the frame rate).
    - red : ReClock didn’t found the frame rate, or clock correction has been disabled

Q: What does the ReClock properties say it thinks your refresh reate really in?
    regards,
    Rob.

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Rob,
    When using TT i hit the MS flag on my keyboard i can then see the re-clock icon but i am unable to click on it to uncover the plethora of adjustments people say are there.
    Can you shed any light?
    Tim

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If find that after I've double-clicked on the ReClock icon, the ReClock Properties dialog will be in the Task bar, but the window will be obscured by the TheaterTek full-screen overlay.

I reveal it by opening any other app such as calculator and then clicking on the ReClock Properties task bar entry to bring it to the front.

regards,
    Rob.

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Rob,

Rule number 1, I must read the install notes.
    Rule number 2, I must read the previous posts on the subject i.e YOURS :blush:

Thanks Rob for the input, 2 problems i had getting the reclock to display when TT was playing, was due to the "overlay always on top" checkbox was enabled.
    The problems i had trying to round up my powerstrip resolutions was due to my Barco insisting that when i set my powerstrip pal res' to 75hz it showed as 76hz, so i entered a res' of 74.3hz which showed up on the Barco as 75hz, the reasoning that the Barco was more accurate in reporting the input frequecies????
    Anyway i rounded up the resolutions to 75hz for pal 72hz for ntsc & it still didn't work:confused: i eventually found the culprit...Girder...i have girder controlling the powerstrip resolutions with the shortcut parameter timings set in the step part of the executable, it still had the old timings:blush: after re-entering the new parameters re-clock works like a dream, although i still get the occasional audio drop out.
    Right the killer pan sections...well...i can't really see any difference in both the opening sequence in Isurrection & the toy story "shelf" pan & the dreamworks logo sequence is still choppy (it is on a stand alone dvd player though) maybe i've been lucky i never suffered badly from stutter (none that bothered me that is).
    I tried the setting the frame speed to original i then get a yellow clock face so i set it to auto.
    I think this piece of software has good potential esp' if he can work on non-standard refresh rates.
    I'll keep Re-clock on my machine for some long term testing & report here if i have any probs'
    Cheers.
    Tim.

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Had a play with reclock last night and found a odd audio sync problem but otherwise I thinkthe pans were pretty good.

One thing to note is that I think the sonic filters use an internal clock anyway which may mean that reclock isn't required in TT but is for playback of other files, just a thought.

John

7. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Interesting.

Tim,
    The yellow icon is ok. It means "I can't adjust the playback rate enough by a sensible amount to make it match what I think your display rate is, or that you've told me not to."

This is what I would expect "Original speed" to appear as. It is apparently still using the accurate calculated clock for video refresh consistency though, just hasn't modified the overal play speed.

What do think of the video and sound when using "Original speed"?

Hi John,
    I think there's a definite improvement in the vertical pan down the corner of the Tenenbaums house in The Royal Tenenbaums PAL/R2. I'm using TT 1.5.<mumble> I'm pretty sure it's a done deal for PAL improvement, especially as the author uses 50Hz PAL playback too.

TT 1.5 was a definite downgrade for me with regards to judder. Much nicer picture, reliability and features though!

regards,
    Rob.