1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

re: Barco G808s, line on picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eyerish, Jan 8, 2004.

1. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. Happy new year to you all. I have a niggle with my projector. I have a 16:9 84" diagonal screen and since I`ve had the unit, there has been what I can only describe as a line on the picture. About 2 thirds of the way up on the left screen side, it portrudes about a third of the way to the centre horizontally. Its more of a change in shade than a line, most noticeable with bright colours. Above this anomally the colours are fine but below it there seems to be a slight drop off but about 3 inches down all is fine again. I thought it might be screen burn but when I move the raster, or any single colour, the line moves in sync. Is this a "dirty" cable or bad earth or what. My better half doesn`t even notice it but like anything on a big screen, once you spot it it bugs you like mad. Any thoughts appreciated...:confused:

2. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW For fear of a smart ass reply folks, I meant tube burn, not screen burn. I don`t smoke that close to my screen....:smoke:

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi
    The horizontal line sounds like your convergence board may need adjusting.
    The board splits the image into two halfs, top and bottom. Where they meet can show a horizontal line.
    It can normally be adjusted "out" by adjusting "Horizontal Bow" in the setup menu.

Bring up a solid colour or a scene that shows it well. Then go into the setup menu, and choose "on source".
    Then go to "Horizontal Bow" in the adjustments menu.
    Whilst watching the image, see if adjusting this setting has any effect etc.

If it does help, but the image is too "bowed". Then your convergence board might need adjusting/attention etc.

If that doesn't help, then i have no other ideas!
    Paul...

4. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks fulabeer.... I`ll give it a go tommorrow night (bit late to switch the monster on now) and let you know what happens. That never occured to me so thanks.....:smashin:

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    eyerish
    Try the top bottom bow on a white screen to see if it goes. almost certainly the geometry is a bit out.

6. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ve just tried the top and bottom bow and as i did the top I could clearly see the line disappear. However I think I need too much bow in order to get this and I`d rather solve the problem on the board itself, because the bow will just irritate me. is there anything I can do to improve the board or any other possibilities to fix it. Would it be any different if the projector was raised/lowered at all, perhaps by straining the board less. I do feel that in it`s current position, the projector is working at it`s limits.

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The line can be a sign that the convergence board is being stressed.
    Better positioning will always give a better image, even if it only helps the PJ keep convergence better. Installation is almost everything with a CRT.
    I didn't pay Roland to install mine just to see his sexy belly!:devil:

There is a way of using a combination of "top bow/bottom bow" and "horizontal bow", to keep the image fairly true.
    Try a combination of the three etc.

Failing that have a chat with Roland, as there is some adjustments that can be done on the board.;)

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Try centre line adjustments as well, if that isn't right it throws everthing else out.

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think I installed this projector so I'm pretty happy its in the right place. I would say a combination of box and keystone will get rid of it. Unless something has changed.
    Don't make the adjustments to the convergence board because unless you get it right it can take ages to get it back (Barco seal those pots for a reason)

10. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for the replies and yes you did install it Roland. I`ll keep tweaking image geometry `til I can get it right then. One problem I do have though Roland is that when I fed a signal from my PC to it @ 1024x768 and 1280x768, the image was too large for the screen and I am at the minimum adjustment range for vertical size (and Horizontal also, I think, but i`m not certain until I check again). Does this mean if I invest in a better scaler (800x600 at the moment) that I won`t be able to get the full image, or am I completly misunderstanding how resolutions work. By the way Roland..did you get my PM?

11. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW. Didn`t notice the sexy belly fulabeer...thank God! Roland kept his shirt tucked in the whole time. ( not that I took any notice though)

12. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I think his belly has gone now!:eek:
    Wonder how he does the "hanging from the ceiling mount" strength test now he has lost weight?

Lots of washers in his pockets maybe!!!

Wish i knew his secret, as my belly seems to be getting even bigger lately!:p
    (Must be all the work he's doing)

That slimfast soup is great over a portion of chips...:rotfl:

13. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Those aren't washers