re: 32ld7200 DVI Stress?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jaspain, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jaspain

jaspain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    HELP!!!

I have recently got hold of a PC with an ATI X1300 Card that I would like to view HD Content on the TV. I have just connected it up to the card via DVI and the max resolution is only 1024, I have been reading on the forums all night about people using powerstrip to force the TV, I had a go at using it but screwed it up big time and just got back to default settings.

Can someone give me some advice on this, I would like to use the PC through the TV and also view HDTV Content and I would also like to be able to play games in HD as well if this is possible?!?! (something like the 360 does), I know that I will need to buy a new Graphics Card at some point but any help would be appreciated just to get something set up?

I have also read about a DSub connection, would this be better for what I want?

Also do i need to buy a DVI to HDMI cable?

I am really confused about all this........

Many Thanks

Jason

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    What resolutions did you try with DVI? I got mine working with a 9800 pro (1360x768 1:1) using powerstrip. You can use VGA (Dsub) and get working 1366x768 straight away, and it will be fine, but using DVI will give you a better picture. (Probably wouldnt notice the difference tbh when viewing DVD/HD etc, but small fonts in windows and games etc wont be as sharp)

IIRC i used an existing 1360x768 res off the powerstrip custom resolution list (cant remember which one, there is a couple). It doesnt work straight away though, but after having a mess about and rebooting it took the res no problem, and i havnt had to touch it since.

You dont need a DVI-HDMI cable, just use normal DVI and use the DVI input on the LCD. (Make sure the DVI input is set to 'DVI-PC' in the TV setup menu)

3. jaspain

jaspain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hi

thanks for getting back to me, will i need better drivers for my ati card or should the exisiting ones also work. I will have a mess around with the drivers and see if I can get anything working.

The reason I am asking the question is because I was going to buy a 360 for my new tv for hd gaming and video but if it is possible to get the same kind of results using a pc, I would prefer to do it with that,

Do you know if this is possible, or will it look better on hi def through a xbox 360 than a pc. ( i know i may need to upgrade the graphics card at some time)

4. PAULRYAN52

PAULRYAN52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can someone please tell me what type of dvi connection I need because I've heard theres different dvi cables, also will i be able to connect my graphics card to the tv, I have a Nvidia fx5700le.

Thanks

5. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There's DVI and there's DVI-I (great!)

I believe the LD7200 is DVI, the original type. But don't quote me on that! It isn't totally clear in the manual.

6. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  7. PAULRYAN52

PAULRYAN52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    is it dual link or single link? it looks like dual link but not sure

8. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Doesnt make a difference i dont think. Dual link DVI is only needed for resolutions in excess of 1920x1200 iirc, so not applicable to the Hitachi anyway. The pins might be there, but they wont be doing anything.

Just buy a DVI-D cable (male to male) for the hook up to your PC.

9. PAULRYAN52

PAULRYAN52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks

10. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Well, back on topic! I have the same model TV, and have tried unsuccessfully to get 1360x768 to show on it without having to stretch the picture using the remote (change to 'Full' setting rather than 'Normal').

I have tried Powerstrip on my PC, and now that my Mac Mini is using the TV, SwitchResX. In each case, the resolution was applied, but was still shown in the same space as 4:3 TV, wth the computer desktop screen scrolling around to show the whole picture. Am I making any sense here?!

Anyway, I guess the question is the same as the OP, can I output 1360x768 over DVI without having to stretch the picture to fill the screen?

11. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yes, you can. As i said above, i used powerstrip to do it on my htpc. It wasnt straight forward though, and i spent a long time messing about with it trying to get it to sync fullscreen at 1360x768.

I used one of the default 1360x768 resolutions in powerstrip (also created a new monitor .inf file/driver using the wizard in powerstrip and updated the windows 'Plug & Play Monitor' driver with it). This gave me the scrolling left and right desktop thing.

IIRC, the way i got it to work was to then select one of the other resolutions (1368x768 i think) which after a reboot was rejected. When it rejected that res, it defaulted back to the 1360x768 res in use before, only it was displayed correctly 1:1.

Not a great explanation i know but its been a while since i did it. I just faffed around in powerstrip untill i got it to stick.