1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RDXS32 with Samsung SMT-2100T

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve Tustin, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anybody help please?

I've managed to get my NTL Pace DiTV2000 swapped out for a Samsung SMT-2100C (side note: It's silver so fits in much better!) From reading various sites I understand that the Samsung will work in conjunction with the Toshiba. A few questions if I may:

* Do I need to use the little infra-red gizmo that comes with the Toshiba? I ask because there does not appear to be anywhere on the back of the Samsung to plug it into
    * How do I know if it is working?
    * What functionality does it give?

The following URL's would suggest that the Samsung will work using code 0042: http://www.twinfo.dipsy.cyberprog.net/stbinfo.shtml and also http://homepage.ntlworld.com/electricstuff/redremote/remotes.html

As always, thanks very much for your help and may much good Karma come your way!

:lease:

2. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The 'gizmo' plugs into the back of the tosh and you stick the little black box on the end of the lead onto the front of the STB over the IR reciever. How did you get your STB changed?

3. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - I'll give it a whirl

Got it changed by suggesting to NTL that my Pace box kept freezing and requiring rebooting............... Well, it might have done anyway

:devil:

4. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No thank you Steve for the code, it was doing my head in trying to get the Tosh to change my NTL Pace 4001 box. I have found on the Pace that you have to locate the 'eye' on the channel change gizmo right over the green led that lights when the NTL box recieves a signal.
    You should repost your info in a thread titled RDXS32 and NTL STB as I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from that code.
    Thanks again.

5. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad it helped! In return, could you do a short A-B-C list of what I have to do and what it will give me. I seem to have hit a blindspot on this one!!

Thanks

6. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You just plug the jack into the back of the xs32 and stick the little black box on the front of you STB, set the code in the initial settings menu and thats it. The button marked SAT.CONT toggles the remote control between changing your tv channels and the satelite box reciever channels. It also lets the tosh change channel on the satelite box for timer recordings.

7. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for this. Tried everything - but still no joy! Wonder if the code 0042 is actually correct? Although I did try a lot of other codes too. Will call Toshiba tech support - ya never know!

Another question - when you enter the code via setup does it display in the menu if it's correct? i.e. once you have entered the code and pressed "OK" does your setup menu still display a blank entry or does it then display the code?

Will post more information as and when I get it!

P.S - Just a thought - should the infra-red gizmo display a light or anything when it is plugged in and operative?

Just spoke to the Toshiba helpline (0115 976 6958) who were about as much help as a chocolate fireguard and made me feel as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Don't you sometimes feel that their ambition is to get rid of the call as quick as possible?

Anyways, they just said try all the codes in the book. Full stop. Do Not Pass Go. I asked if they produced codes as new product entered the market and the response was effectively "Not My Job" Hmmmmmmmmm

So tried all the codes and no joy. I am now wondering if it is a faulty unit as the gizmo gives no sign of life such as lights etc.

8. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Steve the code works fine for me and no it doesn't get displayed in the menu. Try moving the infra red gizmo around by hand while trying to change channel, I found the pace was sensitive to location

9. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks. Success of a sort with 0042. Operates if I am a foot or less away and seems to selct double digits on almost every occassion i.e. I press 9 and get 99. Maybe it is a problem with operating a Samsung box.

I will keep trying stuff - but this function is not critical I guess, just a nice-to-have

Thanks for your time

10. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the same problem, apparently its the Toshiba not spacing the signals it sends enough for the satelite box, I only use mine to change channel up and down, haven't tried a timed recording yet.
    What do you mean a foot or less away, the remote or the infra red gizmo. The gizmo should be stuck to the front of the cable box with blu tack once you find the correct location.

11. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've stick thje gizmo to the front of the STB and the remote will only change channels (using the number pad under the flap) if it is a foot or less away.

Have found someone who is at a higher level cotact with Toshiba tecnical than I and he said he'll raise it. Will let you know progress (if any!)

12. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Belated update (via Mike Harrison)

Tosh have basically said there's nothing they can (i.e want to) do but the 'next model' will support cable boxes.

So there you have it. Another example of the caring, sharing world of large companies!