RDXS32 Users please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by InsideInfo, Feb 28, 2005.

1. InsideInfo

InsideInfo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

I know the Tosh 32 can both record and play at the same time from either the HDD or the DVD Ram drive.

Can it also record onto one drive from an external source whilst also recording to the other drive from either a second external source or the built in tuner?

If it can do this, can it play back from either of the drives at the same time as recording onto both of them?

Thanks.

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If recording to DVDRW it can playback from HDD. If recording to DVD-RAM it can playback from either HDD or DVD-RAM. If recording to HDD it can playback from either drive. It can't record onto both drives at the same time though.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    No - it has one MPEG encoder only and thus can only do one recording at a time. Likewise you can only play one thing at a time because it only has one MPEG decoder. So in summary then you can record to the HDD or DVD whilst watching a programme on the HDD or DVD.

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can I copy from DVD-R (not pre-recorded) to HDD? I tried the other day with a DVD-R that my brother made on a Sony DVD recorder (GX3??) and it didn't want to know. Thanks, NS

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes you can, using "Line-U dubbing". (not high speed). Basically it plays the DVD-R, and records it to HDD at the same time.

Mark

6. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Mark, will try that tonight. NS

7. SGM26

SGM26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's odd! I have had the Tosh sx32 for about a month and one thing that it does not want to do for me is play a DVD whilst recording to the HDD. it will, however play to and record from the HDD at the same time. Does anyone know about this

8. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    SGM26 - Right now I have my XS32 playing the DVD and recording on the HDD. In this example it is recording what it is playing on the DVD through L-U, but while I was getting it going I kept starting to record the wrong channel, so I can promise you it should be happy to playback a DVD whilst recording from the tuner, AV1 or L-U!! I had to start the recording on the HDD side tuned to L-U then switch to DVD and hit play. Good Luck, NS

9. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI!
    Allow me to chip in this thread for some questions. :lease:
    I have donloaded the manual but I don't seem to be able to find anything related to whether the quality of the recording onto HDD can be edited to exactly fit a DVD-R/RW disc.
    If recording a two-hour program at highest quality setting, will it be possible to fit those two hours on one single DVD disc?
    Or, if recording say a 1+1/2 hour program at highest quality setting, will it be possible to fit it exactly on the disc so that no disc space is wasted?
    I am about to move from a DVD Recorder that allows only the archiving to discs with same compression quality of original recordings (that is, if you recorded at highest quality, you cannot compress that quality afterwards before archiving to disc) and I find that to be one among the many nuisances I have with the machine.
    Anything I should know before I buy the toshi?
    Oh, how many hours can the time slip be set for?
    Any answers will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot,
    Nick

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Nick,

Yes - if you record 2 hours at highest quality, you can put it on a single DVD disc by doing "Rate Conversion Dubbing". You can either manualy set the rate, or use "auto rate selection". See page 133 of the operations manual.

I don't believe there is any limit on the timeslip (other than filling the HDD). There is a maximum of 8 hours on a recording, I don't think this applies to timeslip, but I haven't tried a timeslip of more than 8 hours.

Mark

11. SGM26

SGM26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neville

Thanks. I again tried accessing the DVD while recording, and it worked perfectly. So, I must be have been doing something wrong at first. While the Tosh may be a bit complex at first, its capabilities are well worth it.

12. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark
    Thank you!
    I have decided. The Tosh is my next DVD Recorder.
    One very last question before I run to the shop: the DVD's I have been making with my current DVD Rec cannot be re-authored on a PC (to remove the silly menu that it creates and to do some other editing that is not possible on the DVD Rec itself), because the disc files' structure created by that DVD Rec is not recognized by any re-authoring software (that I use!). Has anybody tried re-authoring on a PC a DVD made with the Tosh?
    Thank you again very much!
    Nick

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Yes of course. You can either use the DVD-RAM to DVD-R conversion guide listed in my signature (with DVD-RAM copies), or any DVD-Video compatible authoring programme (with DVD-R and DVD-RW copies).

14. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick, the XS-32 is a great recorder. Just be aware that it won't record 4x speed -RW discs. It's possible that it may soon be difficult to get 2x discs. I believe that the XS-34 will record 4x.

15. SGM26

SGM26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

16. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 hours at SP (Standard Play).

17. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    All DVD-R and DVD-RWs (until we get to dual layer) are the same size (4.7 GB. measured in base 10). How much you can put on them depends on the bitrate used. Many manufactures list a time, which generally refers to a typical “SP” setting, of around 4.6, which is 2 hours. If you drop the bit rate/quality setting, you can put on 4 or even 6 hours.

With creating a music CD, the music is not compressed, so you can only fit the 80 mins max. Of course if it is mp3 files, the amount of music would also depend on the bit rate.

Mark

18. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tks Rasczak! I had TDA already but never thought of using it as re-authoring software. That's cool. And it read the file structure of the disc made with my cuirrent DVD Rec.

How about those discs that are 1-4x or 1-8x? Does'nt the Tosh record on those either? Tks again in advance!

19. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1-4x or 1-8x DVD-Rs should be fine (as opposed to 4x DVD-RWs).

20. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tks!
    But how about 1-4x or 1-8x DVD-RWs ?

21. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No - it will only record on 1-2X DVD-RWs.

22. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think -RWs exist which claim to cover such a wide range, do they? They tend to be either 1-2x or 4x (maybe soon to be 4-6x).

23. SGM26

SGM26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is an interesting quirk that I have found with my Tosh. At first, I was having problems playing and recording at the same time. The reason I had problems was that I was trying to play a disk, just prior to the start of a programmed recording. I just found that there is a five minute period prior to a programmed recording where the content and library menus (along with other functions) are not available. However, the functionality returns when recording starts.

I also found it to be a bad practice to copy to a DVD incrementally. This works fine unless there is a disk problem after what has been recorded. When I added two more programs, I received a disk error, and I could see the flaw near the outer edge of the disk. Unfortunately, I had deleted the first two programs from the HDD. The disks, were TDK, and I found at least 2 out of 25 to be bad.

Just some lessons that I wanted to share.

24. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it better to record at highest quality then do "Rate Conversion Dubbing" to fit on one DVD or to record at a lower rate in the first place?

Greame

25. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Record at the lower rate and then high speed dub across. Try to determine what the final bitrate of the DVD will be. Use the grid at the back of your manual (page 170 from memory) to assist with this.

For example:
    You want to record two 1 hour programmes (45mins programme with 15mins adverts) to DVD-R. Therefore the total running time of the final DVD, once the programmes have had their edits trimmed would be 90 mins (2 x 45mins). Refer to the grid for 1hr 30mins onto a DVD-RAM (which is the same capacity as a DVD-R). You'll see the correct setting is 6.2 - go up one level to allow room for error/fluctations in programme length/VBR and use the 6.0 (1hr 33mins) setting onto the HDD. Edit and then high speed dub to DVD-R - job done.

If you use Rate Conversion dubbing your effectively getting a second generation copy (albeit a very good one!).

(you'll need to ensure DVD compatible mode is selected - refer to your manual!)

26. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I havent tried it yet, but a firmware upgrade should get 4x DVDRW working...