Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RDXS32 Sudden Incompatibility

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Artie Fufkin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Since I had my RDXS32 I've used [on Redsox's advice] the Verbatim Coloured DVD-R discs with no problem.

I bought 50 of them and have burned around half, but all of a sudden I am now getting the Error14 message. This happens if I try to use high speed dub or rate conversion. The discs spin noisily in the tray for a few seconds and then the error message come up.

I've tried about 10 of the discs from the ones I have left but none worked, so I bought a spindle of TDKs from ASDA today and so far they work fine.

So what would cause this sudden problem with the Tosh? Or have a just got a dodgy batch of Verbatims? I really can't see the discs being the problem myself - how strange would it be for me to have picked out 25 good ones at random and be left with possibly 25 coasters?

2. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long have you had the machine? I've had mine 18 months and I used to make between 5 and 10 DVDs per week.

I say "used to" because I can't any more. It'll still play, but it won't record. I guess the drive is shagged.

If anyone wants a PVR which can play DVDs (at the moment, who knows what next).....

3. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    skyline,

My machine's about 10 months old.

Sorry to hear about yours. What a bummer.

4. Talheedin

Talheedin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just started getting the same problem with mine. I can't seem to record with any of the disks that used to work fine. I rang Toshiba yesterday and someone is picking it up today. Trouble is I'm probably going to lose all the programs I'd recorded onto the hard drive.

There were a couple of other problems with it: RAM disks just wouldn't work and the sound would cut out for a second every now and then on pre-recorded DVDs and CDs.

The machine is about 10 months old and I've been really happy with it (apart from the two niggily faults mentioned above). I'm hoping for a replacement machine but we'll see.

I'll let you know what happens.

5. bernie_pt

bernie_pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a XS34, and I too noticed a sound-related strange behaviour from time to time. Maybe it's a known problem, but it's all new to me. I wanted to view a DVD made with the XS34 to see if it was OK - and I noticed that the TV very often 'complained' about the quality of sound, leaving on the screen the OSD notice. This usually happens with poor quality terrestrial reception, but I was on SCART - so I ejected the disc and thought 'another coaster'. Viewing the same recording on the HDD, I noticed that problem was always there - and I started thinking about screwed HDD. So I put a commercial DVD (original of course) to compare, and the problem vanished. But, more interesting, when I throwed in the 'home-made' DVD, sound was perfect - from beginning to the end. It seems that the prerecorded DVD has reset some error counter, or so - and made the machine clean. What do you think of it?

6. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I have heard some others say this too. I guess sometimes it does work, but not for me when I tried it.

Also, I was hoping that after I had sucessfully recorded onto the TDKs, that maybe the Tosh would go on to accept the Verbatims again, but no luck.

Maybe I should contact Tosh as Talheedin has, and get it seen to. I dunno, if it continues to record to the TDKs then that's OK. But will it?