RDXS32 & Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Biccy, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for advice on this machine & ecspecially on JL price match. Phoned today & had answer within 2 hours that they'd do RDXS32 for £399 with 2 yr warrantee (+ im happier buying from well known store). My question now is with usage...as i have Sky+ im still planning on using Sky+ still for 1st recording of programmes, & then copying onto XS32 HDD the stuff i wanna archive. Can anyone confirm this is the best/convenient way of recording?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Yes it is. Continue to use Sky+ for all your recording and timeshifting as nothing beats the ease of use of that system. For programmes you want to archive you then record onto the HDD of the RDXS32 selecting the relevant recording setting for the length of the programme.

3. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is exactly how I use my Tosh. Last night before going to bed I cued up a movie to record over to the hard drive, used the Tosh "quick menu" to set the end record time, then used it again to set the Tosh to "auto off". I'll check the recording tonight, title it, chapter the padding at the end and delete the chapter, leaving a neat movie on the Tosh HDD. If I like it (Magnolia), I'll de-ad it (Channel 4) and put it on a DVD.

I still don't know the ideal record rates though. Rasczak - you must know what they are? Is there a link to a table for BBC, ITV, C4, Sky Movies, etc.? I am probably using more HDD space than I need to...thanks!! :)

4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for info, sounds simple enough...hopefully! Also, i know the Tosh won't record in Dolby Digital, have read that it does 3d surround (?) or LPCM (think thats right) which one is best to record in?

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is no ideal bit rate. It is completely down to individual tastes.

I base my bit rate on how many episodes I want to fit on to a disc.

6. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I do the same thing as most of the above. I set the bit rate to the HDD at 9.2 DD2 regardless of whether it's a waste.

Then I edit out the crap and rate convert onto a blank DVD.

7. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you say so, but I am sure I saw somebody give an indication of the broadcast rates for the different channels, and details of the maximum sound broadcast frequency, I just can't find the thread...

You can tell that Sky uses different rates as some channels take up no space on Sky+ and others take up more room for the same length recording.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes that is very true. However, do you use a higher bit rate to compensate for a poorer quality broadcast signal, or a smaller one because it isn't worth it?

It really is swings and roundabouts.

The only thing to really bear in mind is that only 4 or more (iirc) bit rate recordings are done so at the full resolution. These recordings will be pretty much indistinguishable from the original broadcast.

Personally I archive most recordings at around 2.8 as this is perfectly acceptable on my 42" plasma.

9. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that ive got my rdxs32 & set-up my first question (no doubt first of many!) is about recording quality...mainly sound because i'll record video to HDD max possible...is there going to be anoticeable difference between DD2 & LPCM? Ive read in the manual its uncompressed blah blah but just wondered if in truth there isnt any significant difference?