Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RDXS32 failed recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skyline32, Oct 4, 2004.

1. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a little warning in case this happens to anyone else.

I record to HDD, use chapter markers to chop off the dross at the start and end, then high-speed-dub to DVD-RW. The discs I send off to a friend in the USA (I'm in UK), she watches them and sends them back, I reformat and reuse them.

I've had two discs recently where everything appeared perfectly OK, until I tried to actually watch the disc, when it failed with a "disc needs cleaning or is damaged". The same thing happened when I tried to copy the disk back to HDD.

Of course I had already deleted the recordings off the HDD since the dub to DVD-RW went perfectly. More fool me. Now I think I'm going to have to dub back every disc to make sure it's OK before I delete the recording from the HDD, which will double the time taken to make each disc.

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why dub back?

Why cant you high speed dub to HDD a new original with edits and then dub that to disc.

3. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To check the copy worked. I can't re-record because the original was a broadcast. For example I recorded the drama "Dirty Filthy Love" last week - the one about the chap with OCD. High-speed dub to DVD-RW just fine. So I delete it from the HDD (I tend to use the HDD as a holding area for things waiting to go to DVD). When I come to watch it, it fails after 1h 4min of a 2h recording.

If I try to do a dub back to the HDD, it also fails. It also fails in two PCs with DVD drives. So I've lost it, unless it is repeated (and not on ITV2 - I don't watch channels with onscreen logos).

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've had some dirty disc fails recently and a couple of DVD-R's it wouldn't play.

Cleaned it with a DVD cleaner and has been ok since.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Skyline, what i mean is why dont you dub the edited version to HDD as a master, deleting original with adverts. Then dub to DVD. If it doesnt work, redub the HDD master to different media.

6. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did you use to clean it???

Nearly all of my DVD-R's are giving this problem now.

7. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Some HMV DVD disc cleaning thing.

I suspect its more likely the XS32 myself.

8. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH - I thought you had some sort of lens cleaning kit or something for the XS32.

I don't think all of my discs need cleaning as it says this even straight after burning.

The problem is I don't want to send it back as I have used my player to play discs. I just thought I'd better try it out it discover it does work.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Sounds like the quality of the pick-up laser used rather than cleaning. Anyone know what drives they fit in their ?

This sort of problem should not be happening early in a recorders life. Especially if you are using decent DVD-R's

This has put me right off the Toshiba unless someone confirms different.

Does it have media compatibility problems and do it's finalised recordings play on other machines ?

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ekko, this is 2 people out of about 30 who own the tosh on this site that have reported the problem. Doesnt look epidemic to me?

Ive burned over 50 discs (all ritek brand) with no issues at all. 10-15 get regular play 2-3 times aday and only had an error message when i first started and it was my error.

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I hope not cos I just bought one of these machines as well :thumbsup:

Sometimes it does naturally depend on the make of drives they use inside. As they can be very picky indeed.

I haven't burnt anything to DVD-R yet but it read some pre-burnt ones fine. Also what's this problem about black levels on DVD-R playback on other players ? I noticed some brightness settings for recordings deep in the menu's. Would this have something to do with it ?

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Actually, can you dub a DVD-R to the HDD on this machine ? I know from the manual you can the other way around ?

And what are the DVD-Compatible modes about ? Do I have to put them to Mode I in order for anything recorded to HDD to be able to be burnt to DVD-R ?

13. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I never quite understood compatability modes but assumed its for countries where they do wierd things with Nicam. So I always have it set to (I) the recordings are in stereo so im not bothered to look any further.

yes you can dub to HDD from DVD, but there are constraints

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Please expand as I could not find anything in the manual and when I tried experimenting with a non-protected DVD-R, it weren't having it.

Mind you not sure of what I was exactly doing at the time !

However Mode I takes the left channel and applies it to L-R. That implies it's only Mono ?

15. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    P103 of the manual states high speed dubbing can be done but not with media from another recorder. This means it will be re encoded if not recorded on Tosh. Toshiba recorded stuff obviously doesnt need to be reencoded.

Not tried it as yet but would assume do a content menu on DVD, use quick menu to select dubbing options. Or use various editing options if only a few chapers or tttles required. Simply press DVD when in source area

Also:
    The recorder cannot copy/move the following discs:
    DVD-VIDEO
    VIDEO CD
    Audio CD
    CD-R
    CD-RW

Been looking at compatability modes and only makes a difference if there is a second audio channel (eg different language). In UK where we only get one language if input is stereo output is stereo regardless of Mode. It only makes a difference if you get SAP (second audio program)

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    My heads still spinning after reading that page... :confused:

It says it can copy from DVD-RW to HDD only if it's in DVD-VR mode. Nothing about DVD-R to HDD ?

What is VR mode ?

17. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ill test it tonight

18. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry, I mean a DVD lens cleaner, DVD thing with little brush on.

I find the Tosh a little more picky but have burned 8 discs since 2 didn't burn so it could well be those.

No problems ever on playback except for a PC created copy and that played MOST of the way through.

19. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched a whole NFL (american football) game (4 hours+) in under 2.5 hours which gave the HDD a bit of a work out. Then I watched a film about 1.5 hours. I thought I give the DVD-R's a try and they were OK, but I only tried the most trouble Ritek ones.

Hence is it a heat problem ie overcooling - unlikely?

or

Some crap got into the drive and gets blown around inside, sticking to the lens sometimes??

20. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I did 6 transfers yesterday and no problems at all so it was either a couple of bad discs or a dirty lens.

21. fellow

fellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the Tosh for a couple of months. Only used it for HD recordings so far. Tried to record to DVD Ram - no problem. Tried several methods to record to a DVD-R (Ritek Ridisk 4X) it claimed it could only play and not record. Tried several blanks all with the same problem.

I actually found some Panasonic DVD-R (as recommended). Did a re-sample recording (i.e. in real time) to the disk. This seemed to work fine. It wouldn't play in my laptop. Then I realised I hadn't finalised it so I put it back in the Tosh which decided it was damaged. It has not recorded on another one since!!