Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RDXS32 DVD-RAM formatting problems.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvbdvb, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dvbdvb

dvbdvb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't expect a solution to this however this message is posted for awareness of a potential issue with the RDXS32 and DVD-RAM.

I've had problems in two areas using the supplied Toshiba DVD-RAM disc (type 2 singled sided). The disc is in brand new condition and not dirty at all.

The first problem is that timer recording to DVD-RAM does not work. The message "an unexpected error has occured" appears on the screen & then recording does not commence. Manually activating recording to the same disc works fine.

Secondly, executing "DVD-RAM physical format" from the setup screen does not work. It churns away for about an hour and then says "This disc can not be formatted". Subsequently the DVD-RAM disc is unusable. It can not be "logically formatted" (from the quick menu) & is not recognised by the machine afterwards. There is some ambiguous mumbo-jumbo in the manual that fluffs over whether physical format of DVD-RAM will work or not. I just tried it out to see if it made any difference to the timer recording problem.

My machine has the ZL10/1414 firmware.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    How old is your Toshiba RDXS32 - do you have any problems with any other types of optical media? I have come across a similar problem on an old HS2 - the optical head developed a fault which caused read/write errors.

I suggest trying a different brand of DVD-RAMs - Panasonic for example - if the problem persists then seek a repair on the Toshiba. If not just put it down to a dodgy disc.

3. dvbdvb

dvbdvb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The machine was bought not long after they became available in the UK from Empire Direct in September. It has been fine with -R,-RW.

4. ManojD

ManojD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I also have similar kind of problem with my DVD Recorder RDXS32 that I bought in July, 2004 at Richer Sounds, Blackfriars.

It does not format RAM discs. I tried 4 discs .... one supplied with the DVD Recorder, two Panasonic and one Maxell.

I came to know about this very recently. My mistake was to assume that everything would be fine and also I would never use RAM discs as they were/are costly. So never tested the RAM discs during the guaranty/warranty period. I am moving to India now, where, I guess, Toshiba do not sell these units.

Still I am happy with this otherwise a very fine machine.

Manoj.

5. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone reading this point me to the link for the firmware upgradefor the RDXS32 , I lost the link for this upgrade, beleive it was on the Toshiba site in Germany, and is ment to improve media compatibility, Thanks.

6. ManojD

ManojD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: