Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RDXS30 Hard Drive Format.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dawg, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some help, I have managed to get a Toshiba RDXS30 but the Hard Drive is missing so i am trying to install a standard PC HD. I dont no the format that toshiba use. I have tried all the usual PC formats, Fat 32, NTFS but the machine simply switches on then i can hear it checking the drive for approx 60 secs then it puts itself back in standby. Has any one tried installing a bigger drive yet ?
    Just spoke to Toshiba and a replacement drive from them is £340 :censored: .
    Any help much appreciated.

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfamiliar with the XS30, but if it's anything like the XS32 then there is a menu option to initialise the hard disk. As far as I know this performs a format on the drive in the format that Toshiba use.

£340!!!! You can buy a new XS32 almost for that!

3. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, don't forget that it probably won't let you install a hard disk with a capacity greater than the original unit supported (was that 40Gb?). There are restrictions in the recorders firmware to stop us modding things!

4. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dawg, was the hard disk you fitted a brand new one or one taken from a PC. If it had been taken from a PC I would imagine it would require a low level format first before you can put it in the unit.

5. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keithmdw: The machine doesnt actually get to the start up menu it just shows a green light when it tries to come out of standby then shuts itself down again.

Mikey45: The drive i tried was a seagate 10gb (one i had lying around)

robkgriffiths: The disk was taken originally from an xbox (unlocked then formatted in my pc) i did try a low level format, Fat32 and NTFS but just got the same response from the machine.

Maybe there's another fault with the machine that i am not aware of, but its hard to check without sorting the HD problem first.

Might just put it on Ebay for spares.