RDXS232 v E85 whoes the daddy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bob Todd, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    What are the advantages each player has over the other

Im buying one of them just cant make my mind up which one

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Both are excellent machines although I'm inclined to say the Toshiba RDX32 is better value: it has iLink, (many) more DVD authoring options than any other set-top and DVD-RW (Video Mode) recording and is generally cheaper.

However the Panasonic E85 has better MPEG encoding - it can record upto 3hrs in full resolution (as opposed to 2hrs 20mins for the Toshiba). Also the user interface for the Panny is superior (IMHO) to the Toshiba - especially for features such as Timeslip.

Ultimately though both are excellent options that have excellent features: large HDD, decent editting facilities, DVD-RAM, timeslip/chasing playback etc.

3. cyber_who

cyber_who

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It was the support for DVD-RW that swung my decision from the Panasonic to the Toshiba.

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    sounds good keep em coming i am leaning to the panny

5. Scarlet

Scarlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny (multi-region) will not allow you play an NTSC disc whilst recording a PAL signal to the hard drive, whereas a multiregion Tosh will.

Hope this helps.

6. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    really scarlet okay wheres the cheapest for these two beasts in multiregion and what discs are u using

7. lwm99

lwm99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Could you pls elaborate more on how the Penny is better on Timeslip?

Do both DVR have progressive scan for NTSC & PAL?

Thank you.

8. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the same dilema and reading the posts in this forum is just making it more difficult. 2 major issues that I would like explained are as follows:

The Tosh seems to have problems with RGB scart passthrough - I will be using my DVD recorder once or twice a week to burn a DVD however most of the time to watch Sky+. Is this RGB passthrough going to be irritating?

I read in another post that the Panny records 16:9 in 4:3 when recording DVD-, is this true? If it is then there's no point in even considering it?

Someone please tell us what to do :confused:

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You just press sat mon (sattelitte monitor). Don't know if there are other problems!

10. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK, I don't think that's true, but I'm prepared for someone with more technical knowledge to correct me on this one.

My understanding is that ALL dvds are actually 4:3 until your TV stretches the picture out into 16:9. Now, the DVD-Rs on the E85 are the same BUT it doesn't record the 16:9 "flag" which tells your telly to switch to widescreen mode, from say 4:3 mode. As someone who keeps the TV in "wide" mode all the time anyway, I've never noticed a problem with any of my DVD-Rs.

Having bought my E85 the first week they came out I can honestly say it is the best piece of AV equipment I have EVER bought. That said, if I was buying now I would probably go for the Toshiba for RW compatability and price.

11. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as I was swaying towards the Panasonic after your 16:9 / 4:3 clarification you go and say that you would buy the Toshiba and i'm back to square one!

Please convince me that the Toshiba would now be the best move because of RW.

12. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha, yeah sometimes it's so hard to decide... have you seen the Ultimate Panasonic E85 thread? It might be a good idea to create a Toshiba RDX32 one too, and once it has a summary it'll be easier to list the pro's and con's of each vs each other.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The 'Toshiba RDXS32 - Review Thread' has done exactly this:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137168

bigsby's description is entirely correct. All 16:9 broadcasts are deformed 4:3 ones - the Panasonic DVD recorders will record this perfectly but will not record the switching signal onto DVD-Rs. This simply requires you to select 'Wide' or '16:9' on your TV.

14. Scarlet

Scarlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up my Tosh from Richer Sounds for £422 about a month ago. I currently use an old Verbatim DVD-RW to transfer video from the harddrive to the PC.

At the weekend I had my first encounter with a region 1 disc that wouldn't play (Spiderman) and the region map appeared on the tv when the disc was first inserted. However, once I changed the disc for a non-RCE region 1 DVD and swapped back to Spiderman, it played fine.

Overall great machine and am very happy with it

15. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're TV doesn't have 4:3 / 16:9 modes, is it possible to just set it on the DVD Recorder, and leave it on that?

16. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For personal use at home I have never actually used RAM, as there is ample space on the hard drive for anything that I don't want to keep. Anything I do want to keep gets burned to DVD-R. However, I'm thinking of buying a portable DVD player as I commute and stay away on business quite often. For this purpose, RW would have been preferable, as I could catch up on TV programmes that the wife doesn't like etc and then record over them afterwards. I could buy a panasonic portable which plays RAM, but they are a fair bit more expensive than some of the other machines which are now hovering around the £100 mark. So as it stands, anything I want to take away will need to be burned to DVD-Rs, which currently cost around 50p each for a decent blank.

Same goes for friends/relatives etc - sometimes you record something and want to lend it. With the E85 you will have to write to a DVD-R. If you had the Tosh you could write to RW and get the disc back when they are finished with it.

So while the E85 is a great, great machine, if it got nicked tomorrow I would replace with the Tosh.

17. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I said to myself that the Toshiba / Panasonic race is so close that if Richer Sounds in Edinburgh had a Toshiba, I'd buy one however if they did not, I'd buy a Panasonic online and here is the result.....

Just phoned Richer Sounds and there are no Toshibas in Edinburgh or the UK warehouse - looks like it's the E85 that wins the race.

(If I'm making a big mistake, there is still time for everyone to change my mind as I'll put an order in later this evening or tomorrow!)

18. cyber_who

cyber_who

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think ultimately it depends on whether you are happy just having DVD-RAM as your rewritable media or whether you want DVD-RW option as well.
    For me it was DVD-RW so I could share discs but reuse them.
    Other than that both machines are good machines from what I have seen and read.

19. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at it this way cyber_who. I've had a CD RW for my PC and always used CDR disks. I have a DVD burner for my PC and always use DVDR disks so having a DVD Recorder that doesn't use DVDRW disks I dont think will be a problem for me.
    (I fully appreciate that other people may not be of the same opinion but it's always been disposable disks for me)

Thanks for everyones words of wisdom, after I buy I hope I can return the favour to someone else.

:thumbsup:

20. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U wont go wrong with the e85 qed,i was like u,thought maybe rw would be good to have but then thought i'd never use it anyway so no point.
    Both machines produce good pictures but i especially like the interface on the 85(so easy)and it also looks better then the tosh imo. :)
    Also 80gb is more then enough,i was gonna wait for a 160gb but glad i didnt as i've never even filled up 80 yet.

21. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Okay chaps just ordered the Tosh(multiregion) for 409 from RGB direct.

please tell me what are the best value media to buy for DVDR/DVD-RW and DVD Ram

22. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Best value DVD-Rams are direct from Panasonic E-Shop. Always good offers. Used to be an excellent offer at Amazon.co.uk on Verbatim DVD-Rams (got a five pack of double sided, 9.4GB Rams for £6.86!), but they have now changed prices.

Re: DVD-Rs. I have now authored one 25 pack of Infiniti DVD-Rs on the RD-XS32, which I bought from cd-rmedia.co.uk at the excellent price of 34p per disc (sold in spindles of 25). No problems, so I will be ordering more! Have also used TDK DVD-Rs, from same source, which are currently 59p each if bought in a 25 disc spindle. Prefer the Infiniti though - they have a white label for printing (which is also easier to write on).

Have not tried any DVD-RWs yet.

Hope this helps

23. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On the media front, I ordered 4 spindles of Ritek DVD-Rs from www.svp.co.uk and have had about a 10% failure rate. They're still cheap but I wonder how well they'll last....

24. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A 10% failure rate is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned, just in terms of hassle if nothing else.

I use Verbatim spindles on my E85 with no probs, £10 + p&p from disccity for 25.

25. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to be different from The Ironduke, I ordered the Panny 85 from RGB direct - I'll post my initial findings when it arrives.
    Also ordered some Ritek Ridisc Video Reel A-Grade (4x) DVD-R's from http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ to go in it. Read on this forum that Ritek A-Grade is meant to be pretty good plus I just liked the look of them!
    [​IMG]

26. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  27. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    why verbs did the ritek fail much

28. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because bigsby reported no problems with them, though (QED) I'll be interested to see how reliable the video reel Riteks are.

29. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    well my tosh got sent today:(

I was hoping to have it for the weekend.

I did get a phone call from one of the RGb guys on my answer phone to call them back yesterday, yet today I get the email telling me its been sent, I wondered what the phone call was for, I did try and contact the guy who called but he wasnt in the office and the others wouldnt deal with my enquiry, they said he would call me back

30. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I ordered the Panny E85 online from RGB direct on Thursday 29th July at about 10:00am. I called them immediately after the online order to sort out postage. I obviously wanted it for the weekend so tried to negotiate 24hr delivery or Saturday morning however was told that this was not possible and it would take 2-3 days (I even offered to pay a premium) :mad:

I resigned myself to the fact that it would arrive on Monday or Tuesday however came back from work on Friday afternoon and a delivery card was through the door from Initial - picked it up from the depot 20 minutes later :clap:

Unwrapped it and connected it up (fine looking piece of kit) as follows:
    Sky+ TV Scart --> AV1 on TV
    Sky+ Video Scart --> E85 AV2
    E85 AV1 --> AV2 on TV

Switched it on and we were cooking with gas. First think I did was to shove in Region 1 Donnie Darko to ensure the unit was multi region and it played - phew. Secondly I noticed that the quality of playback is excellent - seems visibly better than my Wharfedale 750 but I may be wrong.

Got the instruction manual out and looked at the settings option regarding settings for RGB in and out and I was slightly confused here :confused: :
    I set the E85 AV1 (out) to be RGB - worked
    I then set the E85 AV2 (in) to RGB decoder however this produced a black screen so I left it on it's default setting of "video"
    Any ideas guys?

Recording
    Took a wild guess and pressed the Record button on the remote and as if by magic it started to record on the HD so I recorded an episode of Star Trek DS9 (the one that they go back in time onto the Enterprise full of Tribbles and meet Kirk - brilliant :D ). I then glanced at the instructions regarding editing and within 5 minutes had removed the adverts using the "partial erase" function and was ready to burn it onto DVD-

Stuck in one of my "film reel" Ritek's (see earlier posts) and followed the Transferring/Dubbing instructions. It wouldn't let me choose High Speed (didn't worry too much at this stage) so just recorded it real-time on the XP setting. After the burn I finalised the disk and chose one of the 9 menus and out popped my first DVD. Quality = Excellent.

Problem:
    While I was burning my DVD I could not watch Sky TV. I intentionally made a direct connection from the Sky+ scart to my TV so I could however both AV1 and AV2 on the TV were transmitting the program I was recording.
    Is it possible to watch TV while recording?

Disks:
    I recorded another couple of programs and left a film burning to DVD overnight last night. When I checked this morning it had errored - :eek: I assume that I have encountered my first duff Ritek. Coaster count = 1.

Haven't tried RAM yet but when I do, I'll post. Any advice on the problems above would be helpful.
    Cheers

QED