RDRHXD870 cannot download channels from TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Alan65, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Alan65

Alan65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Sony RDRHXD870 which is connected to the SMARTLINK (AV2) scart socket on my Sony 32D3000. I'm having problems pausing live TV. So far I've only been able to get it to work when it is set to pause the recorders own channel. When the option is set to use the TV's channel I am told that it cannot perform the operation.

In the recorders 'Easy Setup' menu it says it cannot communicate with the TV to download channels. The manual says I need a 21 pin scart, and I can only count 20 on mine. Maybe its as simple as that. But before I go and buy a new cable can someone confirm what I need to do? Just in case that doesn't help.

By the way, on the TV I have tried with the AV2 socket output option set to both 'Tv' (freeview only) and 'Auto' (whatever I am watching from any source).

My old Phillips VHS recorder could actually play a film and also record from the TV (even playing PS2 games) using a single scart lead. The new DVD recorder can't, even though all the kit is now Sony. Thats progress for you!

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    Your scart lead is fine...the body of the scart plug is the 21st pin.
    Are you using the bottom Line3 scart socket on the DVDR?

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    "So far I've only been able to get it to work when it is set to pause the recorders own channel. When the option is set to use the TV's channel I am told that it cannot perform the operation.

In the recorders 'Easy Setup' menu it says it cannot communicate with the TV to download channels."

The DVD recorder will pause live TV - see page 87. The TV may have a similar freeze function on it's remote control, but this is separate from the recorder.
    You don't need to download channels from the TV. The recorder's own tuner has them all, if it's been set up correctly. A simple question, but is the aerial lead connected to the Recorder, and then on to the TV ? See page 16.

4. Alan65

Alan65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I could only see 20 pins on the TV socket too. I wondered what was going on.

On the DVD recorder the scart is connected to the one marked TV. I'm at work now but I think it is the bottom one. So, yes, it probably is line 3 out. I'll confirm later this evening.

The only connections I am using are a co-axial cable from the aerial to the recorder's digital in, then an RF cable from recorder's digital out to the TV's aerial-in.
    The scart is from the recorders 'TV' scart (line 3?) to the TV's SMARTLINK scart socket (AV2).

When repeating the Easy Setup process the option to download channels from TV is greyed out. When I use the remote's arrow buttons to move over it an info message is displayed saying cannot communicate with the TV.

5. z4ron

z4ron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Alan,
    annoyingly you can't pause live TV if you're watching a programme on your TVs digital tuner, despite the impression the manual gives. This is the response I got from Sony:

I can confirm that you cannot use the smartlink pause live TV when

watching digital TV using your televisions built in tuner, this is

because the smartlink does not function in freeview mode.

In order to pause Live digital TV you will need to use the built in

digital tuner of the RDR-HXD870 and switch your television to the

correct A/V channel (associated with the scart that your RDR-HXD870 is

connect to).

6. Alan65

Alan65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. It's a shame but at least I won't waste anymore time on it.

I wasn't sure whether to try using the HXD870's analogue tuner. According to the manual the download channels option only works on analogue for some reason. I was wondering if this would make a difference for pausing live TV too and was thinking about trying it just out of curiosity. But my Tv gives a better picture with digital anyway. I've got no intention of going back to analog.

7. z4ron

z4ron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It does work using the analogue tuner, but as you say, why would you want to do that?