RDRHXD860S - permanent HQ

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by juldobson, Jan 5, 2007.

1. juldobson

juldobson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just got this last week, I have some queries, maybe someone could help ?

I have set the recording setup on the HDD to HQ but when I do a recording it does it in SP, how do I make the HQ setting permanent ?

Am I correct in saying that you can't watch another FV channel if you are recording another ? but that you can watch a terrestrial channel or other input ?

To get the updates (eg tonight) do I leave the unit switched-on on a BBC freeview channel or can I leave on standby ?

Thanks

2. Shytalk

Shytalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To set the recording mode you scroll through the different modes using the REC MODE button, whatever you leave this on is what the system will record in.
    Freeview whilst recording, if your TV has no other freeview input then you can't use the Sony to watch freeview whilst recording from it, TV needs a seperate freeview input to be able to watch freeview whilst recording.
    Don't know about the updates.

3. Dan-h

Dan-h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This loooong thread in a busier forum is worth a trawl through. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390826
    There were similar posts about HQ recordings being shown as SP, but which when inspected turned out to be HQ. It appears that if a recording has fewer changes between frames overall, that produces a smaller then expected "file" size for the recording. The recorder then assumes its a lower SP quality recording.
    I'll look for a page which has these posts and add a link back in.
    Sorry, it was SP to LSP, but the principle is the same for HQ to SP http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3534863&highlight=downgrading+issue#post3534863

The HXD860 manual says to leave it switched on for auto-updates (double check your default settings!) but I think mine was updated when left on standby. As the updates are repeated, you can experiment with leaving it on standby (after checking and noting your HXD's versions so you'd know if it has been updated, of course).