RDR-HXD970 from Amazon - data point and first impressions

GreyArea

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone cares...the software version on the Amazon units (well, mine at least) is 120/1.58 ! So somewhat out of date.

I've applied the region-free hack (with a One4All 6) and that went fine (although it didn't display SUCCESS, it did then play an R1 disk), then applied firmware 165.

The Freeview receiver gets the same number of channels as my TV (LG 32LC2DB) which is 27 - not many but we're a bit marginal here in Stafford. I mention this simply because some people were reporting the Freeview receiver to be a bit pants. Well, I would say not. Either that or my TV's is equally pants :)

Just a couple of questions - how long does it take the EPG to fully populate? Does it only update when in standby mode? How often throughout the day does it update?

Got my RDR-HXD970 from Currys on 27 December along with a KDL-40V3000 TV and a BDP-S300 Blu-ray disc player. The whole lot including 2 HDMI cables for a couple of quid under £1300.:)
First impressions are the kit is excellent and does everything I want at the moment;)

The versions on the HDD player were Hardware v435, Software v116 and Firmware v1.44. Thanks to this forum I've upgraded Software to v125 and Firmware to v1.65.

I have the HDD connected to the TV with HDMI cable into AV5 and the Blu-ray with HDMI cable into AV4.

My question is:
when I select the HDD player with the "Input Select" button (the one with the right facing arrow into the TVscreen), the picture has AV5 and Player 1 (HDD/DVD) permanently on in the top left corner of the screen. The same thing happens if I select the Blu-ray with AV4 and Blu in the top left corner.
Any way of turning this off?

OUOTE "My question is:
when I select the HDD player with the "Input Select" button (the one with the right facing arrow into the TVscreen), the picture has AV5 and Player 1 (HDD/DVD) permanently on in the top left corner of the screen. The same thing happens if I select the Blu-ray with AV4 and Blu in the top left corner.
Any way of turning this off?"

press the info button on the TV remote control, top left side button on my controls. :)

Dead easy when you know how !! I've been through ALL the setup options on both the TV and HDD. I didn't expect it to be on the handset.
Many thanks

:confused: Another "how do I remove" question.

When playing a DVD through the HXD970, I get an icon of a film camera on the TV screen. How do I get rid of it?
thanks

I tried to connect a USB device to the HXD970. A Sony Walkman. I could see the album artwork so it was connecting OK but no music. I tried the USB reset but no luck. The message on the screen is "this function cannot be used now"

Any help appreciated.

tea_bag, you have 10 minutes and counting;)

I tried to connect a USB device to the HXD970. A Sony Walkman. I could see the album artwork so it was connecting OK but no music. I tried the USB reset but no luck. The message on the screen is "this function cannot be used now"

Any help appreciated.

tea_bag, you have 10 minutes and counting;)

it takes usb memory sticks like the pen drives and will let you use mp3 and jpegs

I dont think it allows other usb devices to be used , but you could try a usb hard disk as that might be recognised

Thanks ramjet I'll give it a try.
Just think it's a bit odd that it can process the album artwork but not play the mp3:thumbsdow

might depend where the mp3 were , they may need to be in an mp3 folder or in the root directory

just checked the Walkman and it only has ATRAC on it - that would explain it!! I'll put some proper MP3's on it and try again.

Quote "tea_bag, you have 10 minutes and counting"

Sorry mate - let you down this time :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom