Rdr-hxd890b

G

gbaldy

hi can anyone tell me the difference between the sony rdrhx870b and the rdrhx 890b apart from the price only on one site i can get the 870b for £189 and on another site the 890b for £245 but i cannot see much difference in the two can some of you experts on hear let me know what you think and which would be the best to go for i know the 890b is the latest model but if the specs are the same should i not go for the cheaper model many thanks for any replies you can supply .:)

Zaphod_B

Novice Member
thanks for the link i may just wait and go for the 890 .
Hi there gbaldy,

Unless you specifically want the features that the 890 supplies:
  • USB Camcorder Connectivity
  • X-Pict Story - Create your own Slideshow
  • CAM Slot
. . . then I wouldn't bother. £56 is a lot of extra dosh for not very much (IMHO), unless of course you need something like the USB Camcorder Connectivity - only you can decide.

Everything else is exactly the same.

Of course, you could get a new 890, open it up and find that there is a 250Gb or larger hard disk which has been limited to 160Gb (and can easily be "unlocked" to give you the equivalent of a 970)! ;)

Zaph

G

gbaldy

how would you unlock if it was a bigger hd, would it simply be a case of refomatting the disc? or are there other ways thanks

Zaphod_B

Novice Member
gbaldy said:
how would you unlock if it was a bigger hd, would it simply be a case of refomatting the disc? or are there other ways thanks
Hi gbaldy

There are "other ways" and they are outlined somewhere on AV forums. I haven't done this myself but am aware that this is possible (eg Sony RDR HXD770's - with 120Gb - actually have 160Gb hard drives fitted which have been "unlocked" to give the full 160Gb recording capacity and therby converting the '770 into an '870 for no extra cost)!

An advanced search in this forum should find it.

I'll have a look myself and see if I can find it. If I can, I'll edit this post with a link (but I'm busy doing something else at the mo).

Zaph

EDIT.

Process of "unlocking" a 160Gb drive in a Sony RDR-HXD770 is detailed here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6354053&postcount=128

Zaph

Zaphod_B

Novice Member
No problem (that's what the forum is for after all) ;)

Thank you for the thanks btw :)

Let us know how you get on - which Sony recorder you decided on and how you got on if you managed to unlock the drive succesfully.

Zaph

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom