Rdock on all the time?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Stereo Steve, Jan 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm looking to get a Solo5.1 and currently use a squeezebox to stream a lot of my more obscure music from a PC on the network. It's good but I would rather it was integrated into the amp. I note the Rdock does this and you can control the Ipod with the one remote.

Question is, can you leave this as a permanent setup? Will it kill the ipod in the end? Could you maybe take the battery out of the ipod so it's not always charging and it would just power on with the solo?

Anyone do this or have any comments? Better still, how about a USB port on future models so you can add an external HDD? Or a little network box which plugs into the RS232 and the network? Would be great to have an integrated solution to this growing trend.

2. SodaOat

SodaOat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great thing about the rDock is that you can set it to charge your iPod or not to charge. Simply by pressing the rDock button it changes between charge and no charge mode.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Presumably if it was a permanent fixture you would need to leave it on all the time but I'm guessing this would not do the ipod much good in the long run.

4. Spen

Spen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As SodaOat points out, even though the rDock is 'On', it doesn't have to be charging the iPod, so there is no harm done to the iPod even if the rDock is permanently on. When playing music the rDock allows you to let the iPod power itself, or use mains power.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

I thought about buying a Squeezebox, but buying the rDock has made it unnecesary (at least for what I would have used the SB for - I realise it streams internet radio too and can play other digital formats such as FLAC)