1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD65 with HD2 vs Toshiba 62HM84 HD2+

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wisedesi, Apr 16, 2005.

1. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I am in US and seems like Optoma is not known is US (AS in EU), as I was not able to find reviews like other brands (Samsung, Toshiba ...). There is a really big price drop for RD65 non HDCP version at costco. There is also Toshiba 62HM84 at costco.

If I upgrade RD65 to HDCP capable, both Toshiba and RD65 will be same price.

Question I have is as RD65 has HD2 and one DVI input while Toshiba has HD2+ and HDMI and DVI input. Which is batter buy. I have seen toshiba and I didn't like the picutre but I am not sure it was playing any high def material also.

Sone of the reasons I like Optoma is good contrast (1500:1), VGA input and 0.15 mm pitch, 3D comb filtering and SiL chip set for deinterlacing.

For some reason picture on Optoma looks better, vivid colors and more CRT look. Please tell me if I am wrong and It is batter of going with Toshiba and if you can why?

Also if you also think Optoma is good choice then is it worth to pay money for RD65A with HD2+?

Thanks

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have the Euro version of the Optoma RD50 with the HD2+ chip & it's a great set .
    The American version's of the RD50 & 65 have the HD2 chip & are very similar to the Sagem 50 over here which seems to be a rebadged USA RD50.
    I prefer the picture of the Sagem 50 to the Toshiba , the HD2+ chip gives better contrast but the Sagem(USA RD50) seems to have a better screen & picture.
    You need to demo the new Optoma to see whether it's worth paying the extra for HD2+
    The Toshiba has the advantage of having a HDMI as well as DVI .Both DVI & HDMI have the same picture quality , HDMI can carry sound as well but not all HDMI ports in DVDplayers or TV sets are able to carry sound.
    You really need to try & get a level playing field for the sets you demo
    by using the same DVD player & DVD's & leads .
    :)

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Go for the RD65 :thumbsup:

4. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Razor and St_ve,

I know Razor has RD65 as I have read enough post regarding the NTSC 60 Htz problem, I am also leaning towards getting RD65. Costco (US) is selling for $1999 + Tax + shipping (I guess because of FCC deadline). I might not upgrade to HDMI now but, will see how FCC comes out with rules for the grandfathered devices which does not have HDCP before July 1st.

One of the thing worries me is Holleywood is hell bent on reducing component to 480P only, If that happends I might have to upgrade to HDMI($400 addition) and invest in DVI switch to connect multiple inputs for HD.

VGA input is also one if the reason as my HTPC is almost ready. Probably you guys already know this but mediaportal is a good free opensource HTPC software. Following is the link. Gets updated almost everyday as lots of people helping to develop.
    http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/

Only thing I was worried about we HD2+ but as St_ve said all it gives is better contrast. I think I like the picture of Optoma better.

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want to connect your PC with DVI not VGA for best quality.You can get DVI connector boxes with two or more inputs the one i saw was a bit pricy but there are probably cheaper versions. A good graphics card is the Nvidia 6600 GT you can get a fanless version ideal for a HTPC.
    You don't need HDMI specifically just HDMI or DVI with HDCP enabled.
    When Optoma upgrade the DVI to make it HDCP complient do you end up with a HDMI port or is it still DVI ?
    Thanks for the link, i had'nt seen it before , every thing i've got in my PC is compatable so i'll give it a try out. :smashin:
    That's a fantastic price for the RD65 how much is the new version with the HD2+ might be worth paying the extra for it if it's only a few hundred dollars more .

6. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rip off Britain strikes again, just over £1000 for the RD65 in the US, over £3k in the US, how the hell do Optima justify that?

7. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again,

I have HTPC with nvidia FX5200, which is fan less and with DVI and VGA output. So, I will be able to use DVI. It works pretty good at this time.

Also HDCP version(RD65H) is $1500 more online. As Costco is only selling non HDCP version So, it does not make sense to get HDCP. I will probably buy non HDCP. Also I think when they upgrade the board they are probably living it as DVI. Need to do more research on this on this.

HD2+ version is really expensive if you compare the Costco price ( More then double). So, no way I can affort that much.

I need to go to Costco as they have last Toshiba left, and if manager gives good deal I might think on that one as it includes eveything (stand ) and I don't have to pay shipping which is 250.

Also just ofr willwood's satisfaction Brits are not getting ripped of it is just FCC deadline is getting closer and I guess Optoma want to get rid of the TVs before that.

I will have to decide in couple of days :).

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grab the Optoma while you can at that price i know you have to pay for the HDCP
    but you are getting a bargain, one thing is it brand new or is it a demonstration model ? you might have to budget for a new bulb.

Check out this comparision of CRT, LCD, Plasma & DLP the DLP they chose as having the best picture quality to represent the DLP side was the American version of the Optoma RD50 with the HD2

http://www.displaymate.com/ShootOut_Part_4.htm

9. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks you guys , Just bought one $2384 shipped (White glove delivery where they will setup and take all the garbage, this was the only option, as it was online only purchase). This is a brand new piece so, only thing for future is HDCP it I ever need that one.

Thanks all again for helping me make decision. I am waiting for that 65'' giant.

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Well done Im proud of you. Welcome to the big tv that no one else has bought club..... :rotfl:

As your in the US have you seen the 82' Mitsubishi monster at all?

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a review of the smaller better looking RD50 :devil:
    Optoma seem to make a very good job of setting the TV's up at the factory
    see lab measurements
    http://www.hedmag.com/Product-Reviews/Video-Display/Out-with-the-New.asp

(For UK readers) this is a review of the American version of the Optoma RD50 which has the HD2 DMD (digital mirror device) & is more comparable with the Sagem HD 50" Axium over here.

12. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Razor,

I have not seen the Mits one but I have seen pics of Sammy 80 inch plasma as few of my friends went CES. Here is the link http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618758-1.html.

Personally I don't like Mits as I have worked with them (62 in CRT rear projection) and I don't like colors on them.

Thanks St_ve,
    That was a good one to read. Make me feel I have made right decision.

13. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure you'll be happy, you're going to be one happy man when you use your HTPC to play DVD's with a DVI cable :)
    let us know how you get on.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Wooooow....... :D

I have seen a 81' Pioneer displaying HD at a AV show, but it wasnt available for the UK market. :(

Fantastic picture.

Thats disapointing to hear as they have a front HD DLP projector which has won many awards. Shame I liked the idea of a 80'+ set. I doubt it would of made it to the UK anyway.

It sounds like you work with AV gear what do you do? :)

15. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

One question what resolustion you guys set on HTPC and what is the refreshrate for DVI output.

16. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Optoma RD set's have a 1280x720 display so set that, in the UK its 50hrz but as you're in America it's 60hrz .
    If you use DVI you will get a small overscan of 1% this is normal & not a fault. Hopefully when the next graphic card drivers are released there will be an option to have 0% overscan. :)