1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD65 ... very cheap overeseas

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by FMariette, Mar 22, 2005.

1. FMariette

FMariette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imagine a Optoma RD65 for Eur3990 (that's £2660) ... the stuff is in France and they deliver to the UK for Eur25 ...

I know there's been a lot of debate on the RD65 ... but at this price ... worth taking the jump?? I have absolutely no Region 1 DVDs!

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Cheers. :(

3. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :hiya: :hiya: :hiya: :hiya:

4. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could you give a link to where these can be bought and is the rd50 a lot lower in price also?

thanks
    jim

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why so glum Razor u can get one for your bedroom now. :D
    I wonder if i can persuade the trouble & strife we don't need a dining room we need a dedicated home cinema.
    :rolleyes:
    There will not be many left next month at that price & :r1: is easily solved with a PC ;)

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Go on steve get the RD65, you know you want one..... :devil: :devil: :devil:

7. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it'll cost you a fortune to import into the u.k from America..from Europe it's much cheaper, but you still have to pay VAT, excise duty, plus carriage charge..you have to pay this on your doorstep when the TV is delivered....i think. :confused:

the VAT will be about 17.5%, no idea what all the rest will be, i just took a quick look on the web..

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might save on any local taxes u have to pay in France.
    If a French citizen impoted one from the Uk i don't think he'd be liable for VAT

Or would u have to pay anything at all apart from a carriage charge
    as it's a common market?

9. DLPCurious

DLPCurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would not have to pay VAT or Duty as we are part of European Union. The only way you would have to pay VAT would be if it was not paid at point of origin ie in France. As for Delivery Costs, it is more likely they will just refuse to ship to UK (due to logistics) than charge high fee. Not quite sure what people mean by high fee anyway? Even if fee was around £200 pound that would still work out major cheap.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Just to get it clear - you DO pay duty and VAT on purchases in the EU. But these amounts are INcluded in the price you pay the retailer - exactly as they are when you buy here. VAT rates vary across different EU countries, as do prices anyway.

However, there is no EXTRA tax to pay on items bought, tax paid, in the EU, when they are shipped to the UK (or, indeed any other EU country).

11. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you'll also have problems with the guarantee, plus getting engineers out to fix it...you cant beat buying locally....especially with all these negative postings i'm reading about the RD50/65, :eek:

i dont care how good the picture is (within reason), because all of these DLPs have miles better pictures than my old Philips anyway :D ...but if it's unreliable, forget it.... :D :D

i'm glad i found this forum, because it tells me the RD 50 is a great picture; but way too unreliable and best avoided, hence my fav is Toshiba :D :D

as far as i'm concerned the top priorities are a good picture, good socket connections and reliability....but the biggest turn off is reliability, the RD 50 fails very badly here :eek:

12. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    European Consumer Goods Directive (1999/44/EC)

"Directive 1999/44/EC on the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees has been implemented by Austria, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.

As a result of this legislation, all consumers, who buy goods in one of the above Member States, have the same right to a minimum guarantee of six months on products. Within the first six months of purchase, any lack of conformity or defect shall be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery, unless proved otherwise.

Within this period the consumer is entitled to have the goods brought into conformity free of charge. The consumer is entitled to ask for the goods to be repaired or replaced free of charge.

Moreover, after this initial six-month period consumers are still protected against faulty products. Within two years from delivery of the goods the trader still can be held liable for any lack of conformity. It should be noted, however, that after the first six months, it is up to the consumer to prove that the lack of conformity existed at the time of delivery.

Voluntary guarantees given by a producer do not restrict the statutory rights of consumers."

13. DLPCurious

DLPCurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malso you really need to get yourself better informed. Optoma have a European HQ which is funnily enough in UK. The guarantee you get from Optoma covers you all over Europe. I am pretty sure that you could get an engineer in UK to come and fix TV if there was a problem. ( It is the same set after all)

So you think we should buy locally and pay an extra £1,400 to get a two year warranty.

I do not think that makes good common sense really. If anyone is worried about the warranty they could purchase warranty from someone like
    warrantyex.

You state that the RD50 and RD65 have a lot of problems. As far as I was aware the only issue was with NTSC playback at 60Hz. Compared to other DLP RPTVs on the market I think the RD65 is still pretty unbeatable.

Why exactly are you posting in this thread in the first place if you are so negative about the idea of purchasing this TV anyway?

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    See - there are some good things about being members of the EU.

Even if we do still pay £4 for a bottle of plonk ! :)

15. rjvanes

rjvanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did a search on RJvanes link on the RD50 it was 3118 euros = £2166 they are not going to sell many of the 50" at that price.
    A nice trip to France to stock up on beer & wine & pick up a RD65"
    :smashin: only trouble is i've allready got a RD50 :(

17. rjvanes

rjvanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked the first shop in France (follow the link)
    They do deliver to Netherlands.
    I tried the checkout procedure and after selecting Pay-Bas the shipping costs changed. For 25 euro they will ship it to my address. Incredible!
    My only problem is, who is going to service it?
    What if something goes wrong?

18. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the RD 65 works out at 2768 pounds, but this might be too big for my room,

i have nothing against the RD 50, but i've read some scary threads here; it's therefore not my fault that i assume the worst case scenaio, this TV doesn't have HDMI socket, am i correct here and therefore it's not hi definition ready for the future?

because i was warned not to bother with TVs that dont, dont forget please that i'm no expert like you lot...i'm just fishing around for the best tv at the cheapest price

19. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ``As far as I was aware the only issue was with NTSC playback at 60Hz.``

what exactly does this mean, can you explain more please, will this effect me
    watching Freeview, DVDs etc

20. DLPCurious

DLPCurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malso,

The RD50 and RD65 are both NTSC incompatible. There are numerous threads posted regarding this but I will give you a very brief summary.

Basically if you try to watch a Region One DVD on either set you will experience juddering. The same is supposedly true when playing video games on a console at 60 Hz.

The only way to counter the judder is to playback R1 dvds via a PC and use a utility such as Powerstrip to output the NTSC DVD at 50 Hz.

Personally I buy most of my cheap DVDs from Oz and Asia and these do not suffer from the above problems. If I had a lot of R1 DVDs I may think twice about these sets.

As far as watching Freeview goes it will have no impact whatsoever ie this is PAL.

Remember that Optoma produce some damn fine front projectors and these devices come from that same high pedigree. Toshiba, Samsung etc are Jacks of all trades if that makes sense.

21. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically if you try to watch a Region One DVD on either set you will experience juddering. The same is supposedly true when playing video games on a console at 60 Hz.

what's a region one DVD :D :D, yes i'm a novice around here :rotfl: :rotfl:

this TV has a great write up on the web, i'm now quite impressed, i'll be using this TV for watching analog tv/ Freeview and Normal DVD's via a panasonic S97....will this cause any problems

thanks Mal

22. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tosh 46, 52, plus the samsung 50, are all more expensive in france than here...but miles cheaper in the U.S.A, the RD 50 is only 1000 pounds, don't you just hate that! :eek: :eek:

because importing from the U.S.A costs a fortune

23. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    malso just noticed your first post in this thread made me :) i advise you to do a couple of weeks reading up on the various threads in this forum on the different DLP sets before buying anything.
    Region One NTSC is not a problem with a HTPC & you don't need powerstrip i have tested this on 4 PC's. :r1: is only a problem with the RD50 if you have bought :r1:DVD's from America & you do not want to play them using a PC.
    The RD50 does seem to be reliable and less problems seem to crop up on it than most DLP set's but this is probably because much smaller numbers have been sold as it's not on sale in Comet's or Curry's.
    You may have got the idea that the RD50 is unreliable from reading the DLP problems thead. i only started it Wednesday afternoon & we've allready had a problem posted that other members have posted a solution for it.
    If you are interested in a DLP set look through the different threads on it & find out what members who own think about the good as well as the bad.
    The most important thing is to demo a set properley before you buy :cool:

And to find out about :r1: http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

They do produce a good set but their customer service is the worst have ever encountered. Overall I am happy with my RD65 now I have cured the R1 judder, but it took me many months to find the cure. Also powerstrip doesnt work at 50hz but at 49.83Hz.

Totally untrue the RD50 and RD65 both have a DVI/HDMI input.

There are many threads on the RD50 and RD65 mainly started by me or Steve have a good read through and you should find everything you need.
    Optoma rd50 and rd65 are great sets but these are its downpoints.

1. HTPC needed for reigon 1 playback
    2. Cant do PAL60, so some console play may be effected (most consoles do pal50 and pal60)
    3. Remote is a bit slow to responed (I use a philips pronto, so it doesnt effect me)
    4. Customer service is very bad, always getting broken promises. This is one major factor againt Optoma.
    5. Poor manual

These are the only faults I know of with the RD range. I was one of the first people in the country to recieve the RD65 and I use the set alot.

I hope this helps. :smashin:

25. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    malso
    Re different DVDs. The video signal recorded on a DVD can be in either PAL or NTSC. Whatever is recorded on the disc, is what the DVD player outputs, and therefore, what the TV has to reproduce.

NTSC video is used in the US and Canada and parts of the East; PAL video is used in Europe and Australasia. Discs sold in these places normally have the "local" video format.

The issue with the "RD"s is that they make a poor job of displaying NTSC video.

If you buy all your DVDs from the UK or Europe (or rent them likewise) then you are unlikely to encounter any NTSC. There are few, but only a few. However if (like many - see the survey on the home page) you import your discs from (say) the US or Japan, then this TV is probably not for you.

To answer your question "what is R1" - what the poster means, is a disc bought in or from the US or Canada. This is "region 1". Region 2 is Europe and Japan, Region 4 is Australasia and South America.....etc. It's misleading to use "R1" to mean "NTSC" which is the issue at hand. You can buy your discs from Japan (which is "R2", but is also NTSC) and still have the juddering issue.

Note: In case all this talk of importing DVDs has your interest, in order to play discs from outside your own region, you have to have a "region free" DVD player. That's a whole new subject.

26. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RD50& RD65 has not got a HDMI input but the DVI input will work with HDMI devices using a HDMI to DVI converter
    The important point is the DVI is HDCP enabled & so will work with high definition that carries HDCP.
    A HDMI input is superior to a DVI one but for the sets you can buy today it makes no difference as the picture quality should be the same.

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Steve your splitting hairs, the RD65 has HDMI input via a supplied DVI to HDMI convertor.

28. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

aah thanks alot lv246, i was still confused until i read your post; great :D :D

now i dont have any DVDs, i'm still a VHS VIDEO dinosaur, i'm almost extinct :rotfl: :rotfl:

and i'll be renting or buying british dvds only, so this means i'm ok, but i dont like reading ``poor customer service``....this scares me big time :eek: :eek:
    because i'm very impatient; plus always working odd hours.

now do DVDs on their covers state ``Region 1`` if not how do i know that a DVD is from U.S.A.......e.g films like predator, terminator, star trek, jason vs freddy

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Should have a small r1 on the back of the dvd cover. You wont see any thing apart from region 2 being sold in a UK high street You sould be fine.

30. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes & no i agree i'm being picky/precise, for picture quality with the sets you can buy today it doesn't make any difference. But HDMI can carry audio as well which is an advantage today with the right DVD player, it's also capable of more bandwidth than DVI which could be an advantage in the future.