1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD50 with multi region NTSC film without judder

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Van300, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I thought that judder occurs with all NTSC- presumably all NTSC are 60Hz.

The film in question is House of Flying Daggers SE from China R1/2/3/4/5/6. Plays wonderfully with high bitrate. One of the highest quality I have in my growing collection.

Can anyone explain?

What's more, it has DD and DTS at £5.70. The downside is that the menus are in chinese. However, there are english subtitles of course.

2. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don`t understand this too, I even didn`t understand the hole NTSC situation, while the Optoma gets studdering/Judder when playing NTSC 60Hz disc, you can play PC 60 Hz TV-out , but it doesn`t play back PAL 60Hz.

I don`t know where the loigic has been gone.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    When I use my pc to play ntsc discs I have to use powerstrip to remove the judder otherwise it is just the same as watching a region 1 through a dvd player. Windvd6 also has a true pal feature which ouputs at 50hz from a NTSC source. I will ATI would bring out drivers that outputed 50hz from 1280 x 720, problem then solved.

Van300 when the camera pans does the forground pan smoothly or does it jerk slightly? Did you get the dvd from cd wow? I know they do alot of region 3 dvd's very cheap.

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor u must be right that WinDVD6 outputs at 50hrz & so solves the judder but it has nothing to do with the true pal option.When they make a film it's shot at 24 fps the americans get it to display at 60fps by using 3:2 pulldown.For region 2 (pal) all they do is double the frames to 48 & spped up the movie by 4% to get 50 hrz, what windvd6 true pal does is slow the film back down by 4% but they must still display at 50hrz as i get no judder with or without it on.
    Using my old dvd player with R1 dvds i get an almost constant shimering effect but no big judders i suspect that a more expensive DVD player copes with the 3:2 pulldown better but then you are left with less frequent but bigger judders
    Using my old DVD player to play region one with my old CRT TV i got judders now & then when the camera pans.
    see http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_report/production_a_z/3_2_pulldown.htm
    for an explanation of 3:2 pulldown
    Razor i'm aiming the 3:2 bit at any newbies reading this thread. :)

5. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Razor

On camera pan, with HoFD, there is no jerkiness like that on R1 NTSC at all. It plays just like R2 PAL DVD. I'm really puzzled because logic should dictate that it should judder.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Thanks for the info steve :)

I havent got a clue VAN300, pop the disc into a pc and see how many frame per second it running at. That should give us a better clue. Very strange.

7. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my Geforce is working at 50Hz mode in all HDTV resolutions. I won`t see judder on anything? Am I right? I will be able to play games on the TV at 50Hz without judder? right?

I do not want to play any R1 or NTSC discs.

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unreal Tournament 2004 looks fantastic as does Half Life 2 although i did notice a moire pattern on a brick wall when i was stopped & staring straight at it, in normal play it's fantastic it will look just like on your normal monitor but at 50" after all the graphics card is only outputting 1280x720 dead easy for almost any graphics card these days.All i have set on my graphics card is 1280x720 at 60hrz there is no option for 50hrz and there is no judder at all.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Try powerstrip at 49.83Hz. :)