1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD50 First impressions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andyxxx, Dec 21, 2004.

1. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first impressions are that the Optoma company has not got its act in gear, being prepared to sell a set without instructions is outragous.

After viewing the set for a day - with factory settings (cos I have no idea how to change anything,) I must confess to being slightly dissapointed.

Viewing through Sky digital the picture varies dramatically from good to very poor. (The crt tv it replaced being a 32" panasonic did not pick up the differences in broadcast quality anywher near as much) The terrestial signal is not much different.

There always seems to be a slight silver edge around head/shoulder and body -I have no idea why and wether I will be able to correct this when the instructions come - and I hate 'fiddling' with settings in any case.

The tv looks far nicer in the flesh than on the pictures and I am glad I bought the optional stand cos allthough it makes the telly sit slightly high, in my opinion it looks good - and I will get used to the height.

I will post mt opinions of this tv once I have had it a few days (and after I have received the instructions)

regards

Andy

2. Saxman

Saxman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my RD50
    fanatasic picture
    How loud is your cooling fan?
    How intrusive should it be?

3. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saxman

I can hardly hear the fan when only a couple of metres from the tv and not at all at 5metres.

I have been watching tonight and noticed terrible l'ip sync' - as in perhaps half a second. It is doing this on both sky and terrestrial - does this mean it is the telly that is faulty or am i missing something obvious?

Andy

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Andy

I have a RD65 and I havent noticed any lip sync at all.

How strange, I'd call Optoma.

5. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i bet they are sick and tired hear from you hehe.. its shame we dont get a update report on their progress, it would be nice to know they are doing something to sort the problems out.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Your right Locky we have all been left in the dark as to what avenues they are exploring. No one I get to speak to can understand the technology in the RD65, which should really be obvious as the machine doesnt work correctly.

What I would like to know is who tests the the Optoma's range as the NTSC/60Hz fault is so clearly visable you would have to be blind to miss it. I really do hope its not the same people are trying to fix these sets...

With this in mind I have just finished writing another long letter on this NTSC/60Hz situation and I am hoping to get this matter resolved as soon as possible.

When was the last time you spoke to Optoma?

7. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ive not told them about the jutters, just asked for myHDMI -> DVi-D adapter but no response.

you wrote any letters to what hifi and the like yet?

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Yes Locky I have writen to a few magazines about the problems of NTSC/60Hz juddering motion and bad customer service. Have you writen any and how are you getting on with Optoma, any news?

9. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ive not contacted them to be honest :zonked: im waiting to get my dvd player and cables and see how it runs :smashin:

i'll be able to tell everyone what i think with the S97 and the RD50 together using HDMI -> DVi cables :D

bt for my gaming needs however is a different matter, its noticable but i try and ignore it :boring:

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I find it worst on region 1 dvd's than on games. I'm trying the Pioneer 868 again tomorrow, fingers crossed again.

Has your hi-def lead for the xbox got a 5.1 output? Got Ghost recon 2 today, cant open it untill xmas (missus orders lol). Is it any good?

11. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ive not played many xbox games in fact its the least played system, im just not interested in FPS on consoles, and yes theres a optical out on the HD cables kee kee kee, btw you have to plug the HD cables into comp-p port for some reasons the pic goes all crazy in Comp-I

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Thanks locky

13. Saxman

Saxman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christmas with my RD 50
    Arrived on Tuesday 21st
    Left side Fan a bit noisy.
    Phoned Optoma.
    Sent engineer here today to change fan,then decided to changed power supply .
    I don't think he has ever seen inside an RD50 before !
    Now the TV keeps shutting down due to temperature over heating.
    Keep you posted if I have a TV picture for Christmas.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Sorry to hear that saxman, christmas without your new toy. Not surprised about Optoma though. Let me know how you get on.

15. Saxman

Saxman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV working again
    Don't know how annoying the fan should be.
    Maybe the cabinet is resonating?
    Does anyone get a black bar (2-3cm)on the right hand side of the picture on some channels?
    Merry Christmas to all
    This is the best place for advice and help
    SAXMAN

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Glad you got your set up and working again. The fan noise can be loud, I have wooden floors and the sound is a little bit louder than then if I had carpet. To be honest though after a few weeks you dont evan hear it. I found it a bit intrusive for the first few days but after that I didnt notice it. To be honest it sounds like a noisey vcr or dvd player. I know in pc's they replace the barings or complete fan units when it gets noisey, you can also buy quiter fans. But if you replace the fan you will obviously void the warranty.