1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD50/65 manual

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by big ric, Jan 26, 2005.

1. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    As anyone recieved there manual from optoma not the downloaded one but the full one and the addapter for dvi to hdmi this is really starting to P*** me off i wonder if trading standards could do anything to help as anyone been in contact with optoma recently about this i think optoma stinks i even left a message on roy stonebanks (customer service manager) answer machine and no one got back to me :mad:
    big Ric

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i spoke to Roy Stonebank Monday he seemed to think the manuals had been sent out on cd.I will be phoning him tomorrow & i'll raise the issue then

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    It's not on having to print the manual ourselves. In addition it is so basic it barely tells you anything.

When I first printed it up I kept thinking that I had lost some pages or I didnt print them up properly because of the lack of information.

The manual can be summed up as, big pictures and limited writings.

Optoma we all know you read these forums

PLEASE CAN WE HAVE A DECENT MANUAL AND HDMI/DVI CONVERTOR.

:offtopic:

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Maybe we should think ourselves lucky that we got our remote controls.

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I think you could have them under the trades description act, also they are open to prosecution for not supplying a UK mains lead either, a clear breach of UK law.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL.... :rotfl:

Look into it Chris

7. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondered if you had rung optoma up today and found out about the manuals i understood that the printed manuals were more comperehensive is this true ? anybody know also what is iccy in the menu
    Thanx
    big Ric

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned Optoma today and asked about the manuals & the HDMI to DVI adaptor
    they will not be sending any out unless you ring them and ask.
    The HDMI DVI adaptor is an opional item so we won't be getting that unless you cough up the readys.
    Phone 01923 691 800 for customer support at Optima and ask for your manuals,
    they come on a cd & i was told has more information than the online manual (that's not saying a lot as there is more information on a back of a cornflake's packet)

I also asked about the care of the screen & was told to just use a silk cloth with luke warm water (spectacle cleaning cloth, cotton one of those micro fibre cloths would be good whatever u use make sure it is very clean any grit would ruin it) Also DO NOT
    spray any air freshner or insect killer hair spray or any other spray near the set.
    Anybody who's cleaned the screen with Pledge ect since receiving the set with out a manual & has damaged the screen should be alright but i'm not a lawyer so who knows.
    I also asked about the Region One problem. They will not tell you that a PC can solve the problem.It's amazing i informed them Monday, digging a little deeper it appears since they anounced that the RD50 does not support R1 NTSC they have stopped all
    research on the matter & Technical Support & Customer Support ( it was the same guy for both today) have been told not pass on any information about the PC being a fix.I told him about the judder problem being solved with a PC & the 3 PCs i'd used.
    I offered to email all the information i'd collected on the subject to their research Dept
    but was again told they had stopped looking into a solution. :rolleyes: :suicide:

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Steve the HDMi adapter is advertised as part of the package on the RD65. They better not start p**sing about over a £15 pound adapter. I cant believe they would be so petty. I have been promised an adapter many times.

I am not surprised they have stopped testing, did they ever start. You think that they would at least do their own testing and offer it to their customers on request. Especialy as it has been pointed out by you, myself and probably others.

This forum and letters to the magazines (One of which I sent one to John Archer Home Cinema Choice which he acted upon), has seriously happered their sales. I have been told this by more than one person. Both retailers and staff at optoma.

Its a shame because the picture on the Rd range is very good and its only the bad way we have been treated that has antagonised its customers.

The region 1 issue was very bad, but now for me its 80% solved (at the expense of a new pc and another box in the lounge). But they could of handled it diferently, therefore having a knock on effect on its customers. Optomas customers if fully informed and provided with adapter, decent manual (not on cd), power lead (for some) and not ignored would probably acted differently.

There are alot of small british companies in the Hifi market who's aftercare is second to none. Quad is one I know of that is fantastic. Roksan is another. This is how these companies get their customers and keep them. Their staff are enthusiates and love what they do. I dont feel this from Optoma. I asked one of the gentleman demoing me the rd65 what set he had. He replied an old 25' sony. You wouldnt get that at a hifi demo.

'what hifi have you got at home sir? Oh an old £60 Amstrad stack sytem'

It wouldnt happen would it.

10. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what exactly do you miss in manual?

i have a look at the sheet and find out, the display only has rudimental settings.

her is the us version manual
    http://www.optomatv.com/doc/RD50_65.pdf

does this manual match more to the Tv than the one on the homepage, or does european version of the TV only have fewer features?

i mean the us version manual show up manual gamma settings and more aspect ratio modes , + other cool features.

Does the European optoma have this features?

Also I found out, that on the french themscene site the Rd65 is shown up with a contrast of 3000:1

and on English Themscene site it only has 2000:1

lol :eek: :D

The new Sagem also has a contrast ratio of 3000:1 and HD2+

so i think both Rd50/Rd65 also have a contrast of 3000:1

Nice!

Please some comments on the manual would be nice .... what is missing there?

many features?
    that are in the US manual

thx

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifiboom
    i have a printout from audiovision that gives a contrast ratio of 1500 : 1
    & that the RD50 is NTSC compatable. I downloaded it on New Years day after finding out about the R1 judder the day before.
    Different manufacturers measure in diferent ways
    Are'nt there some very good projectors with very low contrast ratios in comparision
    with DLP sets the main thing is the picture quality i'm very happy with mine
    & a lot of people are happy with their Toshes Sammys Sagems even though there may be some problems with them as well.Just because you see a problem with a display another person might not see it or discount it as not important.
    The new Sagem Axium might be perfect but for me it's 5" smaller for somebody else 45" would be the ideal size.
    Audiovision where i got my set sell the Optoma's Toshiba's & the new Sagem HD-D45
    & so long as they give a good demo of each set you might be able to get a good idea of which one to go for.One thing is for sure you can't rely on a demo from Comet to judge ( apologys to anybody at Comet who does give a proper demo)

12. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you setup gamma in the options?
    and red green blue channels seperatly?

as shown in the us manual?

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Hifi boom

The rd does have red, green, gamma etc settings but the manual doesnt tell you how to use these. So I havent messed about with it to much. Thanks for the link to the US manual I never thought of looking.

Steve is also right in saying that 'Different manufacturers measure in diferent ways'

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor got the manual this morning its the same as the one we've downloaded
    u also get the warenty card on the cd .Was told yesterday it contained more information they obviously have more information than we do when i asked about care of the screen i got good advice!
    How hard would it be for them to add a txt file with some info.
    The cd was bog standard with a cd label pasted on i could produce one with the care of the screen added including label in 10mins
    No info about connecting a PC to the RD50 u have to select settings/data/& change VGA or DVI from HD to PC in case anybody doesn't know.
    Nothing about how turning on a PC or DVD player can bring the set out of standby
    probably designed like this but would have been nice to have an explanation.
    I'm hoping there was a mix up with the files & a half decent manual exists somewhere :mad: :suicide:

15. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    coool

so the Optoma RD50 seem to be the newest generation as the Sagem HD-D45 is.....
    and i am sure it definitly has the same contrast ratio as the HD-D45 : 3000:1

so as we find out Optoma not to be the best on technical side, they also seem to not be the best at the marketing area....

Do you have these picture modes?
    4/3, 14/9, 16/9, cinema, extra-wide, sub-title, scope, native

not all explained in the manual?

16. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :lesson:
    You have 3 different aspect ratio's (4:3, wide, subtitle) to play around with as well as a normal widescreen format which you can zoom in and out of and position around the screen by the horizontal/vertical axis.

Its all you need. Some companies settings are never correct but the rd65 manages it perfectly. The only annoying thing is you need to access menus to change the screens aspect ratio. A bit poo but live-able.

I hope that helps abit.

18. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the DVI input u can only choose between a 4:3 format & Full
    2:35 & 1:85 display correctly on full.

Your Remote control can generate IR codes (infra red)
    Hold Function down & press volume up = DVI input
    Hold Function down & press 1 =Scart 1
    Other combos as well so experiment :devil:

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Steve your a little diamond. Thanks. I use a philips pronto remote, time for another reprogram. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:)

20. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Rang Optoma up on Friday to ask where my manual was as i was told it would be sent out to me when they were in stock they said sorry and would post me 1 right away also said they would send me a dvi/hdmi addapter for free i thought someone on here said you had to pay for them he could not tell me if they were different to the manuals on the net i am not expecting them to turn up any time soon so will ring them up again in aweeks time i live in hope
    big Ric

21. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ric, i phoned for my adaptor on Monday and got it with the manual on Thursday free of charge,and yes it is the same as the one on the net.
    btw..i still think the RD50 is the best dlp around.(i have no R1s :D )

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two more IR remote codes
    Hold down function & press:
    Red= 4:3
    Green= Full

Pressing buttons 1 to 9 changes to set's TV channells no need to switch source first. :)

Ps on freeview great picture but i get lipsynch probs sometimes on the same program news ect its fine but goes out of synch when they switch to studio it's only now & then don't understand what cause's it :confused:

23. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I had lipsync problems with programs recorded with sky+, off air was fine. Problems went away when I installed my IScanHD+. I therefore assume that the inbuilt scaler/deinterlacer has problems with certain source material

24. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's pretty weird how it comes & goes thankfully i don't get it often .Never seen it on broadcast tv on the RD50's tuner & only 3 times in 10 weeks on telewest.DVD playback is not affected.Recorded TV seems allright but i've only recorded a handfull of programes.I come across it most days on freeview but only for a short period.
    I know if i switch to the sets internal tuner or telewest it's allright so can't be the broadcast? anyway it's only a small problem & it has to be due to something the PC end or maybe BBC ITV ect.

25. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris5
    I am still trying to send my rd50 back (credit card company now involved and reckon the retailer will ultimately have no choice) However, had someone been prepared to demo the Iscan HD I may have purchased and kept the set.

I realize the Iscan would sort my lip sync problem but have you noticed a significant increase in pic quality through SKy and/or DVD?

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    You poor bugger andy your still stuck with the rd50. I wouldnt be to happy if I was you. Optoma told me they tried the Iscan and it didnt remove the juddering.
    I bet you wished you never bought an Optoma set now. I can beleive your still plauged with lip sync.

Tell me some thing is the tv's volume turned down when your listening to your 5.1 set up.

My tv's volume got turned up by mistake and as I only use my 5.1 set up. There was an echo and a bit of lipsync found. This of course disapeared when I turned the volume off from my RD65.

Is the lip sync still there through your 5.1 system when the tv's sound is muted?

PS. Optoma are the worst company I have ever met for customer service with so many broken promises. People still havent recieved their manual or adapter and is now half way through feb. I'm going to contact them again on monday.

27. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor
    Yes, when I use my amp I turn the volume down on the tv. The problem is there through either the sets speakers or the amp.

Having had the set for seven weeks, allthough the problem is there most the time to varying degrees, it now bothers me far less.

I have the CD 'manual' but it is the same as the downloadable version. Is there supposed to be a more detailed manual on the way to us? I sure hope so cos there is little to no info in the current one for those of you who stick with their sets.

28. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    andy, The first thing I noticed when I installed the IScan was the smoothness of motion, for me this is the biggest improvement, the picture really does flow.

There is also a lot more information in the picture now, but at the same time the picture can look a bit soft, I think this is what people call the 'cinema effect', I personally prefer sharp edges. football also looks much better, distant body limbs are much more clearly defined.

The only problem is that there seems not to be any data lock between the dvi data outputed by the Iscan and the Rd50. ie if you feed 50Hz to the RD50 you get big jumps every 6 seconds. the nearest match is 49.83Hz, but about once every half hour you still get a jump. there should be a Phased Lock Loop circuit in the RD50 to lock to the data rate, but this does not seem to happen. This may just be a setup issue that I have not understood yet, any help would be appreciated on this.

Sadly the IScan does not help much with 60Hz material, outputting 72Hz is an improvement, but not much.

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Thats interesting, thanks chris. I'd rather hear it from someone in these formus than from Optoma. I to was going to buy an Iscan but gave up when there was none avialible in the country.

Would you recomend this product? (one jump every 30min aint too bad).

30. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Razor, its a definate picture improvement, and you also bypass the problem about Sky bringing the set out of standby mode, but it is yet another box + remote. I've yet to go Sky SDI, that promises to be another step up. My friend has also promised to build me a unit that will instruct the iscan to auto aspect switch (which will be nice)