RD-XS32 VHS to DVD Setup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nabulldog, Jan 5, 2005.

1. nabulldog

nabulldog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting ready to start my first VHS to DVD home movie project.

What Settings?
    1. Record in 16:9 or 4:3 format?
    2. Bit rate SP(4.6Mbps),Manual(6 - 6.8 Mbps), or other bit
    rate to reproduce as close to the original as possible?

Are the transitions between chapters faded in and out or are they like a slide show, one picture to the next?

The manual doesn't indicate that there is any fade in or out. If this is the case, then what I would like to do is record the video to a DVD-RAM, copy video to a directory on my PC using my Panasonic DVD Ram/R drive, edit the transitions, then burn to a DVD -r using my PC.

Any suggestions on Software which I could easily insert different transitions to my video?

2. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use movie edit pro 2004i belive it is on offer in pc world . this version allows you to a copy transition to all the scenes some other software you have to add to each one . i find this software very easy as well for cutting unwanted footage .

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Womble Movie Wizard 2003 is quite good. It works in mpeg so only rerenders where you add transitions. Evaluation copy is available on line

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    1. This will be determined by the VHS material itself. The DVD recorder wont change the aspect ratio and so I guess the answer for most VHS will be 4:3.

2. I find SP works very well with VHS. Do a test recording and if not satisfied try a higher bitrate.

Chapter transitions can't be turned into fades as far as I know.

5. nabulldog

nabulldog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I am also using DV camcorder footage. Since this is already digital, shouldn't I record it onto the rd-xs32 at the same bit rate as the original footage? How does recording with the bit rate too high or low affect the PQ? How would I find what bit rate the DV footage was recorded at?

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    The two formats are really different in terms of compression and if it were possible to record at the DV bitrate you would fill a DVD in around 20 minutes.
    The higher the DVD bitrate the better the final results on DVD are likely to be. As always you have to decide where to draw the line.