RD-XS32 - SKY+ - Dolby - Connection Dilemma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Thenewhouse, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Thenewhouse

Thenewhouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    Having reviewed the forums for a few weeks I took the plunge and I am now the proud owner of the RD-XS32,

While trying to achieve the optimal set up and have come up against a difficulty which seems to have no ideal solution.

I have a Phillips pixel plus TV with surround sound and SKY+ .

To get the best picture and sound from DVD playback I have connected AVI RGB Tosh to AVI RGB TV with a Co-axial audio for Dolby surround sound.

If I follow the recommendations in the Manual and on this forum and Connect the AVI (RGB) SKY+ to AV2 (RBG) Tosh I get no sound when viewing SKy channels.

Disabling Dolby on the TV, which is in set-up so not somthing you want to do every time you want to play a DVD everything works fine.

I have also tried using the AV2 Sky (none RGB) to Tosh, which works but I can really notice the difference in picture quality.

I am coming to the conclusion that a RGB splitter may be needed to give me two RGB outputs from SKY+?

Has anyone else come to this conclusion or have I done something wrong here?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    If I understand you correctly, I would expect that you would not get sound from SKY+ with “Sat Moni” on – as while sound would be passed through on the RGB SCART, your TV is expecting sound from the digital audio out on the XS32. But if you have the XS32 on (and “Sat Moni” off), then you should get the audio.

I don’t think splitting the RGB would help.

What I don’t understand is why you say it works if you are using AV2 from SKY. I wouldn’t expect any difference in how the audio is carried on a RGB SCART vs. a non-RGB one.

In short, there should be audio on the SCART, and if your TV recognizes this it should play it. If your TV is only looking for audio on the digital audio connection, then you’ll only get sound if the XS32 is on, and not in Sat Moni mode.

Hope this makes some sense.

Mark

3. Thenewhouse

Thenewhouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark - Thanks for your response.
    Yes – makes perfect sense – I suspected as much

Apologies - I missed a vital bit of detail – I would connect one side of the split SKY+ RGB SCART directly to the AV2 RGB SCART on the TV and the other to the Tosh.

This would give me RGB/Dolby viewing from the Tosh and RGB viewing and recording from Sky+

The conclusion is then I need a splitter that will not degrade the signal – any ideas?

4. PeeJ

PeeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Guys I’m new to this forum so I hope I’m doing this correctly?

I’ve just bought a XS-32 from RGB and I think I've got a similar problem (question?) about audio.

Basically I have my SKY box plugged into my XS-32 exactly like Page 18 of the installation guide, so SKY into AV2 and AV1 out and into my TV. I also have an optical digital cable plugged into my TV as it has a 5.1 decoder built in (TV’s a Hitachi C32WF810N).

I've set the TV up to detect the digital feed if it's there or take analogue if not.

The problem is if I record channel 1 to 4 off the XS-32 (So from it’s internal tuner) and them press the “SAT MONI” button to view a different channel off my SKY box, I get the audio from the channel I’m recording?

I’ve found 2 ways round this:
    1) Go into the TV settings and set it to only accept the analogue signal. Problem with this is I’ve got to remember to go back into the TV to set it back, or I live with reduced sound quality.

2) If I press the “Easy Navi” button it lets the sound from the SKY box through????? (Although I have a feeling it messes around with the aspect ratio???? But I need to look into this a bit more)

Any ideas if I’ve set something up incorrectly, or if this is a "feature" of the XS-32? Any help will be great.

Thanks

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I don’t understand why you are getting audio from the internal tuner if “SAT MONI” is on.

In my setup, I use the electrical digital audio out, and only this, to a 5.1 sound system. I don’t have any option of analogue audio (my AV1 SCART goes to a display with no audio). And when I use the internal tuner to record with “SAT MONI” on, the audio I get is from the external receiver (in my case Freeview), not the internal tuner. I’d only get audio from the internal tuner if “SAT MONI” was off. So for me it works as I want and as I expect. “SAT MONI” on, the audio is from Freeview. “SAT MONI” off, the audio is from the XS32 itself.

I haven’t used the optical connection, but I don’t think this should work differently than the electrical one. And I haven’t found any settings to control this.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. I can’t explain what you are seeing.

Mark

6. PeeJ

PeeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Thanks for this. If nothing else it's helping me focus on what's going no.

It is weird. I would have expected the same as you that when "SAT MONI" is on I'd get the audio associated with "SAT MONI". (I also tried the electrical digital audio out but got exactly the same thing???)

It looks to me (But I'm just guessing??) that if the XS32 is turned on then the audio comes through the optical cable, however if I turn SAT MONI on it lets the audio and picture from my SKY box through on the SCART only.

Sooooooooooo

Whether I'm taping or not, if I set the XS32 to view (say) channel 1 (so BBC1), then turn on SAT MONI and flick to (say) SKY 1, I see SKY 1, (as the picture overrides the BBC 1 feed) but hear BBC 1??????? As my TV will default to the audio coming in from the optical cable.

However if the XS32 is off (so not recording or on) I get the sound associated with the SAT MONI picture. However it sounds to me as though it's only NICAM at best and not Dolby Pro Logic (Again I could be wrong about this?)

What I'm not sure about is whether this is a problem with my XS32 box and I need to send it back, or if that's just the way it is????

Guess I'll just keep playing to see if I can set anything in the TV, SKY box or XS32 that'll help?

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Well, what your XS32 is doing seems different from mine, so either there is some setup option we haven’t found, or one is wrong!

Mine definitely outputs the external “SAT” audio if “SAT MONI” is on, via the (electrical) audio out. As I said, it is the only audio connection I have. If my XS32 was working as yours seems to, it would be a problem for me. So either there is something missing I don’t understand, or your XS32 has a problem.

I think it would be worth contacting Toshiba and asking them.

Mark

8. PeeJ

PeeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah.

They are definitely working differently which can't be good (for me :-().

I have a nagging feeling that it's something really simple, but just can't quite put my finger on it.... I'll play a bit more and then contact Toshiba to see what they say.

Thanks again for your help.

P.J

9. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a feeling you may be right, but I never use the internal tuner.

I think (from memory) if I am watching something recorded from the tosh with sound via optical link. Pressing Sat Mon only changes the picture, the sound is what is beening played (or in your case recorded).

Again I guess, when off the output is only via the scart cable, but when on the optical output is from the Tosh ie play or recording and not Sat mon.

The only difference is that my TV is only stereo so the opitcal link goes to the Amp and the TV sound is turned down. I can't remember what comes out of the TV (via scart) when the Sat Mon is press I think it is the Sat mon sound.

Possible reason for this is something to do with the tosh processing the optical output. When the SAT Mon button is pressed the scart conection is pased through hence the same sound.

Press Sat Mon and then switch the Tosh off and see the difference, since there is no output on the Optical link you tv will switch to the scart or stereo output.

10. PeeJ

PeeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jdarushall,

Thanks. This helps.

At least it sounds like it's not just my XS32. I suspect it's a mixture of how the XS32 deals with the audio through the SCART and the optical feeds and how my TV deals with things it was never designed to handle.

You're right though that when I Press Sat Mon and switch the Tosh off. I get the audio for what I'm watching so all OK (although the audio doesn't sound as good to me as when the Tosh is on.. I think???)

I guess I just need to play a bit more (I've only had the XS32 a couple of weeks) with all the setting and see what I can do.

But thanks for the input it's given me things to think about (not least whether I should try and convince the wife that we need a new sound system rather than trying to use the TV's 5.1 system :))

P.J

11. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its strange that Mark's is Ok from the Electrical digital output. I try to remember to test mine out.

12. PeeJ

PeeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm??? maybe he has got something set that I (we?) have managed to miss?

At least it's a long weekend so, (kids allowing) I should get a chance to play somemore.

But if you do notice anything please let me know.

Cheers

P.J
    PS. Better get on with some work, so probably wont be replying to anything else today :-(

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    :oops: My apologies… I just realized I made a stupid oversight on my setup. I’m not at home to check it, but I bet my system is actually working same as yours.

What I forgot is I have a separate audio connection from my Freeview to the sound system…. and when I watch Freeview I choose the “TV” audio input on my sound system which uses that, not the audio from the XS32 (which is on the "AUX" input on my sound system).

Sorry.. I do this on auto-pilot, and forgot I had this other connection.

Now that I think more about it, it makes sense. “SAT MONI” just passes through the SCART, including the audio on the SCART. To get the digital audio out, the XS32 would need to be on.SO I take it back, your system is working correctly.

Mark

14. PeeJ

PeeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Thanks for the update. If nothing else I can go home with some confidence that my XS32 is working as expected.

I now just need to work out the settings to get the best sound out of what I've got.

P.J

15. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked both optical and Electical digital output and they do both work the same.

I wasn't too sure about it either I now remember why I have the audio output from the sky box to the amp.

16. PeeJ

PeeJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jdarushall

Thanks for letting me know.

I had a little play with the XS32 over the weekend and agree that things are working as they should. It's just I'm trying to get my TV to do too much :-(

I think I need to get a separate sound system....

P.J