1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD-XS32 RW Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by almara, Jan 4, 2005.

1. almara

almara
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had my Tosh for one month now and think its a great machine (apart from the manual). However, I'm still not able to get satisfactory results with RWs. I initially tried Datasafe 2x which I managed to format after several attempts and record on but made the mistake of finalising which the Tosh won't let me undo. I then moved on to Infiniti Professional 2X as recommended on this forum and again find that it takes several attempts to format. Have been able to record (using high speed dubbibg) but disc is now showing as write protected ,which I don't understand, so that I am now unable to delete content or record further material. Has anyone any suggestion on how to avoid/overcome this write protected issue? The alternative would seem to be to try yet another brand of RW, if I could be guaranteed to find one which (a) would format first go and (b) record without difficulty.

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Memorex 1-2X and haven't had a single problem. They all format first time and record without incident (using both high-speed dubbing and normal dubbing). I have also finalized and un-finalized them without problem.

I bought them from Ebuyer.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

I would also suggest TDK 1-2 speed media which is available in Scratchproof. These are £1.39 each from www.blankdiscshop.co.uk . Whilst these maybe a bit more expensive than other lesser brands, you do get what you pay for, and considering discs are re-useable and you never need many, it is money well spent.

Regards

Philip

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use TDK (not the scratchproofs, but I am ordering some) and no problems formating, recording, finalizing, unfinaliizing, adding bits, etc. etc.

5. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I originally bought 10 RWs thinking I wouldn't use them much, but I have just ordered another 20 (Memorex again as I had no problems)!

I found I am putting films on them to watch later and decide if I want to keep (and not yet getting time to sit down and actually watch them). I also want to keep episodes of things I like - like specific Simpsons etc. and don't want to burn to -R until I have a disc full, so am using RW for now.

I did wonder one thing though - does RAM have any advantage over RW if I am doing all my editing on the HDD and simply putting on disc until I have enough to warrant burning to R?

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

No advantages for DVD-RAM unless your name is Panasonic ;). It's all digital data so it doesn't matter what it is stored on provided it is still there when you want to read it back. At least DVD-RW is cheaper and can be read by more hardware, probably the reason you are using it.

Regards

Philip

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I use Verbatim 2X -RW discs and they work fine. (Other than having to ignore the error message I get at the end of finalisation; the discs work fine if I eject them and reinsert).

Mark

8. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Traxdata 2x with no problems. I used to use Verbatim 2x but I cannot find these anywhere now as 4x seems to have taken over. Unfortunately I need to use 2x for compatability between machines. About a year ago I used Infiniti 2x with no problem but the last batch I tried around a month ago were very troublesome - most would not initialise/format - that's when I returned to the Traxdata 2x -

9. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They sell the Verbatim 2x -RWs on eBuyer - Quickfind Code 61425. They are £1.88 for a 5 pack. Seems VERY cheap to me.

What were yourr experiences of these like on the XS32? At that price I might get some.

10. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They were my favourites for all round compatability! If I had not just bought 100 Traxdata I would have no hesitation in buying some more. I just looked at ebuyer and they look identically packed to the ones I bought. They must be the ones!

11. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does on the SX32 in that it keeps track of everything you burn to DVD-RAM in the library, including how much free space there is on the disk. This means I just number my disks and don't have to keep re-labeling them etc.

Also Ram is a bit more durable than RW..

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    There are loads of reasons to opt for DVD-RAM over DVD-RW especially when using the Toshiba RDXS32:
    - Option of caddy protection as well as manual write protect tabs
    - No need to finalise
    - RDXS32 is less fussy about DVD-RAM media - less chance of not being able to read it when you come to put it back in your machine
    - Keep the files in VR mode (retains all markers)

If your just using temporary storage then you should use DVD-RAM especially as the ability to read back in another device isn't that important for just dubbing backwards and forwards. And cost is a non-issue these days: decent brand DVD-RAMs can be purchased for around £2 each as opposed to £1 for a decent DVD-RW - minimal difference at that price point. Personally I would also use DVD-RAM as a secondary backup medium but that is up to you.

One could also mention that - at least in my local branches - whilst stores such as PC World stock DVD-RAMs, DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW they don't tend to stock DVD-RW discs which is perhaps a good indication where the format is going...

13. Talheedin

Talheedin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do DVD-RAM disks hold more data? I'm sure I read that they hold twice as much data when I bought my PC DVD Writer.

I bought my XS32 about a month ago and think it's fantastic. I haven't really had to burn that much to DVD yet except for the odd film that I want to keep (not much on over Christmas!). I would like to know however how much recording space there is on a -R disk when recording on the default SP setting (bit rate of 4.6 with DM1 sound). The manual gives a nice listing for the HDD and DVD-RAM but not for -R or -RW disks (which I presume hold the same amount of data). Is there a formula to work this out?

Thanks

Talheedin

14. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very roughly speaking, at SP everything holds about 2 hours.

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The size of the disc (4.7 GB) is the same for -RAM, -R, and -RW.

The only RAM discs which can hold twice as much are double sided ones; but you still have to flip the disc over.

Mark

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    No. DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R all hold around 4.7GB of data (actual capacity is nearer 4.3GB). You can get dual sided discs are effectively two normal discs back to back - these hold upto 9.4GB of data but you have to flip the disc half way through, i.e. you don't benefit from the each capacity.

Sp is the standard 2 hours per disc (DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW). The table (p170) in your manual refers equally to DVD-R/-RW.

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    All three us repsonded to that question then. Mine took the longest to type :)

18. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Well, at least the replies were consistant!

Just a point on the 4.3 vs. 4.7 GB - this difference is down to how you count. It is 4.3 "proper" GB, i.e. where a KB is 1024 bytes, a MB is 1024 KB, and a GB is 1024 MB. Manufacturers quote a decimal number, i.e. they call 4,700,000,000 bytes "4.7 GB". I assume so it sounds bigger. They do the same with HDDs.

Basically, if you use the file sizes reported by Windows on your PC, the disc can only hold about 4.3 (4.37 I think) GB, on a disk which is called 4.7 GB.

Really you don't have to worry about this; if you use the table in the manual as a guide you'll be OK. It only comes into play if you start editing on a PC and want to know exactly how much you can squeeze in.

Mark

19. Talheedin

Talheedin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. The RAM disk I got with my PC burner must have been double sided.

20. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my first RW problem today.

An RW I had finalised I wanted to add more to. Un-finalised it and added (dubbed) the extra title to it. Then tried to finalise the disc again and it got all the way through and finalised the disc before popping up the error that the disc was not recognised. Leaving the disc blank!

Good job I was untrusting and dubbed it all to the HDD first just in case!