1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD-XS32 - is it really that complicated?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gazza30, Sep 24, 2004.

1. gazza30

gazza30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read all the comments/problems regarding the complexity of the Toshiba RD-XS32 I'm beginning to think I should go back to my original choice of Pioneer 520H. Just how complicated is the Toshiba? Is it just the editing features that are a bit of a hassle or are basic functions like recording/timer recording/timeslip/straight copying from HDD to DVD a bit long winded as well. Just need to be sure that when I want to record something it's not going to take me forever to do simple operations. The Pioneer is meant to be very user friendly, which really appeals, but all the good reviews on the Tosh has been swaying my judgement.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it really isn't that complicated at all

don't let it put you off

3. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with Bob. I've had my machine for 5 weeks and I haven't found it complcated at all. Just a bit of a learning curve.

It really is a great machine and the fact that it can record to Ram as well as
    -R/RW really puts it in front of the Pioneer and the Panasonic as far as I am concerned.

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    it only becomes complicated if you read the manual then try and do something, sod the manual just dive in and u will be a pro in no time, just look at the buttons on the remote

5. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a word - No !

I really like my XS32 and don't find it complicated to use.

The most irritating thing is that the numeric keypad on the remote is under a flap which I'm bothered about breaking in the long run (although my Hitachi VCR has a similar setup on the remote and hasn't broken since I got it 5 or 6 years ago, so I'm probably worrying about nothing).

For me the killer feature it has over other units is the "IR blaster" that means it can change channels on the Sky box. I just set the timer on the XS32 and it sorts out which Sky channel it wants - much easier (and IMO more reliable) than having to use the Sky Programme Planner thingie.

Regards,
    John

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The remote isn't a problem to me. I use a HTM all in one remote.

I don't know why in the update they do not allow it to accept alpha numeric IR codes via an additional remote or a laptop.

When I had a Pronto I had the emulator software on my laptop and used it to control my devices. The mrs never did work out how I was doing it.