RD-XS32 DV editing query (missing date stamp)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gazza30, Oct 3, 2004.

1. gazza30

gazza30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have managed to transfer my digital camcorder footage to my Toshiba RD-XS32, no problems there, really like the way it automatically creates a new chapter for each change of date on the footage. However, is there a way of actually getting the date/time stamp recorded as well. It must be recognising the data for it to insert the chapters but it doesn't actually appear on the recording. Seems strange that it will create a new chapter for each date, without actually telling you what the date is. I always find that having the date displayed is really useful, especially when it is footage of your toddler growing up over time. Is there a way around this problem or is this facility lacking (for some strange reason).

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Surely you get it to ddisplay on the camcorder and record it as part of the image

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume that you are using firewire (aka iLink, IEE1394) to connect your camcorder to your recorder. In that case you will not get any date/time stamp.

The only way to get date/time stamp is to connect your camcorder through s-video. Please take in consideration that PQ may be different (because there is a D/A/D conversion when you use s-video), but you can see it by your self. You will not get either chapter marks for each change of date on the footage.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am planning to upgrade to a DV camcorder for exactly this sort of use and the auto chaptering seemed like a great feature. I agree that on playback of the whole 'video' seeing the date stamp is really useful (reminds you how old the little one was, or where you were on holiday, etc.). Here is an idea, can't check it out right now as I am at work!

In the DVD-Video finalisation process where you set the background for menu's, etc. I have seen an option (under Quick Menu?) for changeover view, or something like that. Could you set this up to display a chapter name as it went from one to the next, and then name the chapter with the date?

Hope we can work out a solution that does not involve using S-video instead of a direct digital link.

5. gazza30

gazza30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But is there an easy way of using the date stamp as the chapter name, or do I have to go through my original recording and remember which scene is on which date before manually editing the chapter names. Why isn't the date stamp information transferred when using a DV connection, I thought this was supposed to be the perfect solution for dubbing digicam footage.