RD-XS32 and music

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dood, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am not querying it's quality in playing back CDs (this has been discussed elsewhere).
    What I would like to know is how it can be used to archive music on HDD. I expect that it will record the music through it's phono inputs, but what format will this be in?

What happens to the absent video signal, does this still use up space?

Can the music then be dubbed onto DVD and transferred to PC and then burnt to CD? (I presume that the 32 can read but not write to CD). Before anyone thinks this is crazy, the paln is not to start from CD but from LP and tapes. A friend of mine has a collection of about 900 LPs, and rare recordings on Revox tapes from the 60s. The tapes are starting to disintegrate and he needs to copy them. He wants to buy a dedicated CD recorder for the job. I thought that the DVD recorder may be able to do the job and if so he would not have to buy a CD recorder. He is not very at home with computers so would rather not go the route of recording from analogue music directly to PC.

Whilst on the topic of music, can MP3 files on CD be transferred to HDD and played from there? Can they be dubbed back to DVD - if so potentially a very large music collection could be stored on one DVD disc.

Am I right in assuming that the 32 can't rip CDs to MP3?
    If the above can be done (ie storing the analogue stuff on DVD) then potentially one could archive their CD collection on DVD discs for playback on DVD players.

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sound is either Dolby digital 2 channel or PCM.

Would assume PC is the best and most versatile route for digitising music. Especially LPs and tape as there are plenty of packages for "improving" the sound. The 32 is in effect a computer with an interface designed for recording Video. Surely, even for someone not at home with a PC, using a PC with software designed for recording music is an easier option.