1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD-XS32 and DVD-R Media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tobyjuggler, Dec 28, 2004.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why I didn't think of this before, I don't know, but I need a little help if there's anybody out there who has the answer, please :) :

I have 100 Infiniti DVD-R's (bought before I got my tosh). I have made quite a few DVD's on my PC, but NONE of them can be read on my Toshiba. However, they can be used in the tosh if blank and used to record onto by the RD-XS32. This suggests that there is nothing wrong with the discs themselves, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong on the PC. Is there anything I need to ensure is 'ticked' (or not as the case maybe) to ensure that my PC DVD recordings are compatible with the Toshiba?

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Are the DVD-R's finalised?
    What software are you using to create the DVD files i.e. VOB, BUP and IFO files?
    What software are you using to burn the DVD's?
    Are you placing the files into a VIDEO_TS folder?

This should help to see where the problem is. I've used Infiniti DVD-R's and had no problem.

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for replying, laser. The DVD's are finalised and recorded in DVD-Video Mode. I'm using freeware programs like ImgTool and DVD Decrypter to create an image of the files I have (which are in a VIDEO_TS folder), then burning from the image. The DVD's all used to play on my old DVD Player.

I think the problem might be solved though thankfully. All the DVD's that won't play on my new tosh are ones from a previous batch (about 6 month's old) of the same type of blank DVD. I have just successfully managed to burn a few DVD's on my PC that play on the tosh :). Maybe this new batch is slightly improved, or it could be because I have just downloaded the latest version of DVD Decrypter.

4. Whitefiver

Whitefiver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm - I always use DVD-rs with Ritek dye, and so far, so good. Check out blankdiscshop.co.uk if necessary. Occasionally free shipping at weekends too.

(No, I have no connection, other than as a customer!)

Regards,

White.

:oops: url corrected :blush:

5. robert.hunter

robert.hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a Toshiba RD-XS32 but gave up on it when it would not record on new Verbatim DVD-R discs.

6. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Your going to have fun with DVD recorders! No DVD recorder will successfully record to all makes of media - the trick is to find several brands your recorder likes and then buy a big stack of discs to keep you going.

With 8x media though - and this probably applies to you as you refer to 'new' media - you'll find many DVD recorders won't accept it yet. Stick with 1-4x media only.

7. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only had my XS32 for a few weeks. I have burned over 25 DVD-Rs and about 5 DVD-RWs. All the -R discs I have used are brand new Varbatim ones. Not a single problem.

8. robert.hunter

robert.hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have had three different Philips DVD recorders. Despite all the well-documented problems with some models, I have never had a difficulty with discs not being read by a particular functional machine.

When I had the problem with the Toshiba and the Verbatim discs (which I have always thought were reasonable quality media) I did speak to someone at the Toshiba helpline who advised me to try JVC or Panasonic discs.

Both discs and machines should be manufactured within tolerances which mean that they are compatible except for the odd rare exception where an error has occurred. It is for the industry to address compliance issues not the user.

9. jlh1

jlh1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my XS32 for a few days. I've got some Verbatim DVD-R's, 8x on order, have read on some threads that these might not work. What speed are your Varbatim discs?

10. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are the 8x DVD-Rs - 30 burned now and not a single error.

11. jlh1

jlh1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith, Thanks for the quick reply.
    John.