1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rd 50 /dvd pioneer 575

Discussion in 'TVs' started by big ric, Dec 27, 2004.

1. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    just brought a pioneer 575 dvd player in the hope it would help with ntsc play back well i can report that the juddering as all but gone i find it hard to believe that a £115 dvd player (from richer sounds ) can do such a good job when a converter would cost many times that to my eyes it is good enough for me as i dont have to many region 1 discs and will buy another player with dvi output for my pal discs :thumbsup:
    big Ric

2. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im glad to hear that you fixed your judders problems hehe ive just got my pana s97 and i think the judders have been sorted as i output the ntsc into PAL60 format hehe well maybe my untrained eyes have yet to see judders but i can def see them on my gamecube though on 60hz games :( nothing too bad but still.... :rolleyes:

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Has it really disapeared as I have tried the Pioneer 868 on pal60 and the result was the same. :(
    I should be hearing from Optoma this week, well thats what they said.

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Big ric, are sure it not just wishfull thinking about no jitter (look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around my eyes)

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    lol...... :laugh:

6. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    at the moment i have only tried 3/4 region1 dvd's when using my old pioneer 525 output pal 60 or ntsc the juddering was very bad and i could not watch the film all the way through to be totatly honest there is still very slight judder only in certain scenes but 95%of the time it works fine for me i dont think it's the answer for owners with mainly region 1 but i have only 30/40 region 1and in future will only buy region 1 if it as something you cant get on region2 overall i am very happy with it's performance as i could not afford to buy one of the very good converters which cost over a grand and i dont see why i should have to because of optoma the 575 outputs pal 50 i am sure of it
    big Ric

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Ric Hi,

Your right the juddering motion is unwatchable, the worst DVD I have is Terminator 2. I contacted Pioneer directly and they say that non of their range of DVD players can output NTSC to PAL50.

Your right in saying that you shouldn't have to pay over a thousand pounds on a processor/convertor to watch NTSC/60Hz material on the Optoma RD50/RD65. As the advertising clearly stated (at least when I purchased it) NTSC compatible.

You say that you hav 30/40 region 1 films in your collection which is a fair few.
    The main reason I have so many Region 1 films in my collection, is that they tend to be released alot earlier. I have cancelled all my preordered region 1 DVD's and I have about 8 DVD's still in their wrappers as I was waiting to enjoy them on the RD65. Which by the looks of it isn't going to happen.

When I purchaesd the RD65 I was looking forwards and not backwards. I liked the HDMI/DVI (which I still havent recieived), Hi-def resolution, DLP HD+2 chip, 11 various inputs etc... What I didnt expect is for Optoma to take us back 15 years when NTSC compatible television sets were a thin on the ground.

To be honest Ric I love the set and I hate it at the same time. But there is one thing that is for sure I will never buy another Optoma product ever again, as I feel the customer relation side of the company is awful. They have had nearly 4 weeks to find a solution and still nothing. Not evan a video processor recomendation etc.

I have recived more info and guidance through this forum than I have from Optoma the RD65 designers. I thank everyone for their post's.

8. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Razor
    well i have done the terminator2 juddering test with the pioneer575 connected to the rd50 via ixos rgb scart i only noticed 2 scenes in the whole movie that juddered one was when arnold walked out of the bar at the begining and it only done it twice and i might not of noticed it if i was looking for it so hard and when they walked into the building to blow it up i think that was only twice again i dont think i would of noticed it if i was'nt looking so hard so i am more than happy with the way the pioneer works it's just a pity that it does not have dvi output :D

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Thats good Ric. It is a shame that it doesn't have a DVi out. I get on judering on Terminator 2, evan when the camera is stationary. The Carlco intro at the beginning is terrible.

Needless to say I have re-ordered Terminator on Region 2 today.

One thing I am puzzeled by is I have tried this disc on the Pioneers Flag ship player the 868 and it was still bad.

10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I agree with you there Razor, althought I think there is a slight improvement in PAL mode over NTSC/AUTO mode with the 868, it not a vast improvement that big ric is noticing

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Glad you said that Chris I was getting paranoid that my tests with the Pioneer 868 were at fault in some way. What version of Terminator 2 have you? I have a single disc region 1 first edition (silver cover).

One of my first DVD's......

12. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Razor, I don't have T2, my favourite R1 disk is Fifth Element Superbit version, it looks so much better that our contrasty pal version.

13. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    the reason for 868not working is it outputs pal60 and the 575 outputs pal50 if you look in the manual of a pioneer player it will tell you under the heading of setting tv system if you play say a ntsc disc what the output will in the different settings (auto pal ntsc) in my old pioneer 525 manual it says if i put ntsc disc in and turn it to pal output a MODED pal (pal60)will be output but in my manual for the 575 it does not say moded pal but just plain pal which must mean pal50 thats why it works and not the other models as any other owner of RD50/65 own or thinking of getting a 575 i know it's not the greatest player in the world picture wise but i intend to get another plyer soon with dvi out for all my region2 discs hopefully one without macroblocking
    the version of termanator 2 was the ultimate edition the one in the metal case with dts6.1
    big Ric

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    This is so fustrating. I think the only way out of this mess is a video processor or a good Home cinema PC. When I bought the RD65 I wanted to enjoy the best pictures it can deliver and although I havent seen the 575 in action I feel as you say 'isn't the greatest of player'. The picture quality between my sony dvd player and my panasonic recorder is vast. As was their original selling prices.

The thought of having 3 dvd players in my lounge,

1 to watch region 1 dvds
    1 to watch region 2 dvds
    1 to record

doesn't appeal greatly.

However I must say that I do appreciate you letting me know of your findings and your help on this matter.

:suicide: