RCE Question Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mjwhitehouse, Apr 10, 2001.

1. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I posted this with a different title and got nowhere so I will try once more with perhaps a better title. I have a Proline 1000 DVD player for my kids and a Toshiba 2109 multimod'd acouple of years ago for me and the wife. Why does my Proline play RCE discs with no problems but my toshiba doesn't? I would have thought it would have been the other way round. :confused:

2. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to www.techtronics.com and read up on the issue - this isn't a pass off; you'll find what they have to say quite informative. ;)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Essentially RCE only affects DVD players which automatically change the region code and have no manual over ride. The RCE disc says to the DVD player "can you play region 1?" The DVD player says "yes". Then the RCE disc asks "can you play region 2?" and the DVD player says "yes". So the RCE disc says "well you can p**s off then." Toshibas are all auto with no provision for manually changing the region code. However, as noted in the previous response Techtronics have overcome the problem.

4. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read the Techtronics website and thankyou for that. However that does not explain why my cheapie Proline 1000 with no provision for just setting region 1, plays RCE discs with no problem. Why does the Proline work? :cool:

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Some do, some don't. Normally RCE will play only on fixed machines or players with manual code selection, some however work also in automatic mode - seen the Pioneer DV-636/737 doing it and I own a new Yamaha DVD-S796 which can do it, too.

IMHO it merely depends on the modification, ie how much effort was put into it.