RCE on UK disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HeadBanger, Oct 27, 2000.

1. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    If Warner and Tri-Star are encoding all new disks with RCE, will region 2 disks refuse to play on multi region players?

Surely the same principle will apply, ie if the disk detects that a player can play any region it will refuse to play regardless of the region the disk is set to.

I hope this is not the case. If my moded R2 region player stops playing R2 disks I will be very, very pead off !

Any thoughts?

Incidently, I bought my player from WWW.DVDMagic.net and I have been asking them for their solutions/views on RCE (via e-mails and their 'Doctor') for the past three weeks. I have mailed them numerous times and they have not had the courtesy to reply. Has anyone else bought a player from them and tried getting a response?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I can't see anyone encoding Region 2 disks with RCE. Can't see anyone in the US wanting to buy a UK disk with those ever so useful 58 languages of subtitles !

There is a thread in this section which details Warners and Columbia-Tristars intention to only RCE encode their region 1 discs at the moment.

Instead of trying to penalise us why don't the film companies get their act together and have an almalgamtion of release dates - I know gladiator is allegedly the first. Then the problem would be solved without this RCE crap. Mind you we would still suffer for the extras !

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Hear, hear!!!

Wasn't Men in Black released at the same time here as it was Stateside. I'd agree that the inclination to buy Region 1s would be greatly reduced if releases here were sooner - the price difference is also an issue though. There are also some DVDs which just haven't got a UK release here of course. So there's another reason.

Cheers,

T

4. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All DVD players sold in the UK are Region 2, they are then modified. So even if a disc is RCE encoded. It wont matter your DVD Player is Region 2 naturally anyway. So it should matter.