1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RCE on 'Older' Movies

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stewart C, May 17, 2001.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are the Companies in America encoding older film DVD's with RCE when some of the films are so old they are probably already owned by half the planet. I can understand, but disagree totally, with a current release being RCE encoded as we all know the film industry are so keen to keep the window firmly shut for the rest of the World until it decides to release elsewhere (More profit and Hype).

A good example is Superman The Movie. Now we have seen this countless times on the TV and video, why would the studio want to restric the sale of this R1 disc?

Only a thought, but RCE is pants anyway.

Cheers
    :)

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Couldn't agree more with you Stewart. But you have to remember that Hollywood is all about money and hype (in that order). I posted a few months back about why older films are regionally encoded at all. They say region encoding is due to different release dates around the world. But what is the release date for a 20 year old film. It should be region free surely. Someone answered saying that region coding is needed as different companies own the rights to a film in different parts of the world - sounds like a 'cop out' to me. I also think that older films should be cheaper than new releases - surely the studios have made plenty of money over the years from the likes of Superman with cinema takings, TV rights from all over the world, VHS sales, merchandise, etc etc. They should produce the DVD at a reduced price. The same goes for older CDs as well. These tend to cost more - why??

3. fishyben

fishyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading somewhere that studios are using RCE on older films as a test bench to iron out the flaws in it :confused: who knows.

It's not really a 'cop out', if everyone was to buy region 1 and region 1 only then other film industries, ie Europe, would suffer greatly with all the dosh going into the USA film companies.

I could'nt agree more, but they're in the business to make money and it simple economics, if they put a film out, ie StarWars, and only charge £10 do you think they will sell more than if it was £20 ? No, it's down to supply and demand, the damand for these older films is so great they know they can charge as much as they want.

4. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apparantly SUPERMAN in't RCE anyway. They must be trying to put the wind up us for some reason.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I still hold up to my theory of the owner or licensing rights but totally agree that RCE in itself is useless (the nicest word I could come up with) as it can be defeated.
    Currently it just generates some business for those offering modifications for DVD players.

As for the pricing I could understand if the movie had to be restored (?) and e.g. a new soundtrack (preferably in 5.1) was recorded or lot's of extras have been added, but not if it's just the plain old version we have seen on TV or VHS.
    Not to say that all old films are crap, but most deserve better than what we have seen so far.

Patiently waiting for a proper release of "Highlander" .... :rolleyes:

6. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with every point made here. Thanks guys

Regards