1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RCE Disc's, What players, won't play them

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tiggy, Nov 7, 2001.

1. tiggy

tiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    This may have been asked before and apoloiges if that's the case,
    but I've noticed lately, more and more R1 disc's are RCE (region coding enhanced) which means they won't play on some Multi-region players.

My question is, WHICH ONES ?

Does this only apply to cheap machines or high end machines, or are all more recent players fine with these Disc's regardless of Spec, and price.
    Does anyone know of Players that are'nt compactable,
    Personal my player is the Pioneer DV 717, is it compactable?,(can it be modify)
    How long have RCE disc's been with us?

Cheers.

P.S

I got the message below from Play247.com, may interest some of you.

Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE) has been added by Warner and Columbia to certain Region 1 DVD’s. RCE will prevent the DVD from playing on some “Multi-Region” DVD players. If you are in any doubt that your player may not be able to play RCE DVD’s, we recommend that you do not order this title, as we are unable to accept returned RCE DVD’s. (Although Columbia has not officially announced this title as RCE encoded some of our customers have experienced problems playing it.)
    :confused: :confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was trying to find out myself....
    My Toshiba 2109 multi region immediately locks out at the world map page, but a simple remote hack (Techtronics haters eat your insults - they provided it immediately) enables full access to all menus and plays the movie I imported (Final Fantasy) brilliantly - even the notorious second disc.
    My mate has one of those Tesco Wharfedale players that operates via a handset hack - anyone know a hack to play RCE on his player?

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is not a problem of the player but of the multiregion modification carried out - though some players are known to give less problems with RCE.
    Therefore please check with the company who carried out the modification as to if it can support (I mean bypass) RCE.

If your player is not modified yet just ensure that you purchase the correct modification.

4. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If this is the M5 the simply change it from being multi region to being R1, using the menu that the handset hack takes you to, for more information check out area 450

5. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone who has a modified DVD player which ONLY does automatic region change (EG looks at the disc when inserted them changes region accordingly) will NOT be able to play RCE disks, BUT if your player has a MOD which lets you change the region MANUALY EG (using remore select the region of the movie press enter etc) then you will have no problems with RCE whatsoever as the DVD will think your player is a U.S region 1 player and play normally.

hope this helps

P.S most new mods offer both automatic and manual region change so most wont have problems but even if yours is only automatic you can have it upgraded to a newer mod.

6. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is the remote hack they gave you ???

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    This ain't necessarily so: my Marantz 4100 was a remote hacked machine when it left the shop, and I haven't jiggled with the settings at all, so it stays multi-region. I've had no problems with any discs yet, including RCE.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    My Pioneer737 is fully auto region select, and "upto" now plays RCEs without a problem.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spencem
    The Wharfedale machine I was seeking a handset hack on is apparently the 750 model that Tesco sold.
    According to the owner, in normal operation, pressing 1,2,3,4 whilst disc tray is out enables R1. When machine is powered off, it returns to R2.
    This is all second hand info so excuse any inaccuracies.
    The owner tried the hack suggested by you in area 450 (thanks for that) but no joy. The screenshots are also completely different.
    I should perhaps add that he is not the most technically adept. Pressing load and play pretty much covers it.
    Anyone know the correct code to enable manual region on the 750 model?
    Cheers

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. swhits

swhits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought a Tosh SD210e from Sound & Vision @ Bolton last week. As a newbie I wasn't aware of the trouble with RCE. I've just contacted them & they promise that it will play RCE discs with no bother at all. I'll keep you posted when I get an RCE disc!

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got the same dvd player as you (Pioneer 717) and havent had a problem with any discs, including Charlies Angels which wouldnt play on my mates machine....

13. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi,

I`ve got the Pioneer 717 with the Techtronics E-mod and it plays RCE discs as long as you first play the intro on a NON RCE Region1 disc first and then put the RCE disc in. It plays even the menu and extras. There are mods now that are more up to date than mine (chips & software) that would cope even better than my player. Try and have a mod that has a manual select because this can offer some protection against newer forms of RCE in the future. Try looking on the RCE section of the www.techtronics.com and you might pick up some tips off the comments section. Also look on the links section of HCC and other mags and they will direct you to companies that do mods. Some will even arrange to pick up your player and return it within a few days.

Hope this has been of help.

Stuart.:D

14. seq2

seq2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 players, a pioneer dv626 techtronics multied, plays rce no problem, .............and i have a samsumg 709 with very old firmware (doesnt play matrix......yet)....but i multi it with an aiwa remote and the words adjust appears.....i put a rce in (knughts tale etc) and it plays perfectly, ntsc to pal with macro off.......now i think that is strange because i havent selected r1 or r2......and it plays rce...................................does anybody know if the new samsung dv-m104b works with the normal codes on original remote to make it multi with macro off.........a friends dv-m105 would only change region with the old aiwa hack but with macro left on........i think they are still ntsc to pal on output because the video played back at 50hz but with macro on.......is there an easy hack that can turn macro off........................i can geta 104b for £95 new .............and then get rid of the 709.

15. munchkin

munchkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we rent dvd's now my hubbys computer has nec 3550 dvd player and the rented dvd's play fine, get to my computer and i have pioneer dvd-rom 116 and guess what they wont play, yet dvd's we brought play fine, can anyone help to why this happens, i have also download dvd region + css free, but that does not make any different, i also have power cinema and dvd, by cyberlink, no differents, we are both running on winxp.

if anyone can help that would be great, thanks. J