1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RCE and Tosh SD900E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kane D Williams, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Folks

I got my "multiregion" SD900E from Sevenoaks (Sevenoaks branch) when it first came out, I was one of the first in the country to own one I was told. I wanted to buy from a few other places really, including Techtronics, but Sevenoaks was the only place (I called about 20 other shops) who had one at this time and I was getting HT withdrawal symptoms, as my Panny A310 was playing up!

When I asked the guy at the shop about RCE compatibility, he told me that RCE discs should not be a problem, but when I opened the box, there was a note inside saying that it is possible that some discs may not play, but upgrades should become available. When I came across a few "problem discs" I called Sevenoaks, who told me that my machine should have no problem, the guy said that he personally had the same machine and discs and they worked fine! He told me to try loading a non-RCE disc frist, to switch it to R1 mode (which I had already tried) and that should be OK, and if it wasn't then there was nothing he could do!!

This to me is really bad service and it looks like I'm going to have to spend another £140 to get Techtronics to sort it out and I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. The worrying thing is that Techtronics' mod, also requires a non-RCE disc to be inserted first, which means it could in fact be the exact same mod!!??

Anyone got any tricks I can try with the current mod? I've tried using the locate function, hoping to skip straight to the movie (Final Fantacy).

Cheers Kane

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you tried the RCE get-a-round trick of putting a non-RCE r1 disc in first? This just wires it to Region 1, fooling the RCE when you put the next disc in. On some modded machines, you only need to do this once. A friend of mine bought a Pioneer 530 (?) from Techtronics, and had to do this. When he did the trick that one time, it worked first time everytime afterwards.

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i have an sd 9000e muti- region machince and i use the following trick:
    Toshiba 100, 200, 1009, 2109, 3109 trick:
    Enter the disc.
    Wait for the RCE warning sign (world map)
    Press memory
    Enter into Title 1 - Chapter 1
    Press Play
    Press Clear
    Note: The movie will play, but MENU will not work.
    Experimenting with title 2 and chapter 1 etc will get you the special features.
    Toshiba 2108, 3107, 3109, 9000 trick:
    Enter the disc.
    Press STOP before the RCE warning sign (world map)
    Press T button twice to bring up time input.
    Enter 1 second
    Press PLAY

hope this helps!!!

4. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kane,

To my knowledge there are no firmware upgrades available for the 900E (including the mythical PAL Progressive hack) though early models were hackable by the likes of Techtronics to allow the so-called 'transparent' RCE function. On later builds the 900E had the firmware changed (this is at the factory and is not available as a user upgrade) which prevented the transparent function from working. The existing Techtronics mod is not an actual mod at all it is simply the players built-in ability to hard switch regions by inserting a R1 disc.

OK, so far not really of much help but there are a couple of things you should try. The Techtronics RCE workaround specifically states that when you insert your R1 disc to hard switch the region lock, you should leave it in the player until the FBI warning shows. My own experience is that this is unnecessary but it may help you as your firmware is (or should be) different. Alternatively, I have found that not all R1 discs will hard switch the region lock, my own personal fave is Hannibal which I simply insert for a few seconds then I'm away. You might want to try Hannibal if you've got it, or try a few other discs and see if the switch is accomplished more reliably with a different title.

On my particular player I have only ever had to do this once but this may not be the case with you. The reason is fairly simple, Techtronics multi-region mods tend to allow R1 and R2 playback whilst locked into R1. Don't ask me why this should be but it worked on a Pioneer 717 that I personally took to their workshop a few years ago where they modified the player and showed me R2 discs working whilst set to R1. Again, I never had to manually select regions with this player it simply did the lot set on R1. This could still be the case with some of their mods hence only having to set R1 once on my 900E. I could not say if a mod by a different company would be the same or even a Techtronics mod on a different model or firmware version would also be the same. Maybe I'm just lucky.

If you chance your arm by sending your price and joy to Techtronics to be modded beware, you take your life in your hands. They're not the company they once were. Hope this has been of some help.

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    DTS_BOY

Cheers, I've tried variations of these techniques, but I don't think I pressed play followed by clear? Should the movie begin after I press play (this doesn't work for me), or should I have to press clear first and it then begin automatically? Or, do I nead to press play, clear and play again?? Hope you get me?

Dick Scratcher (charming):D

When trying the R1 enable with an RCE free disc, I had not been leaving it untill the FBI warning, should I let the FBI warning finish? I have not got Hanibal (didn't like it much - 1st half was good), but I do have other MGM titles including Silence of The Lambs, should I try this, or are there any other titles that you know work for the R1 switch enable?

I know you are probably thinking, "why doesn't he just try these methods", but I have lent out the only RCE disc I have which won't play!! I have other discs including R1 Gladiator, which a friend says is RCE, but this plays without a hitch, do you know if this DVD is RCE? Are there a list anywhere online, of all RCE titles?

Cheers Kane

6. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kane,

Shoot over to play.com and do a search on 'R1 DVD Title'. Choose 'RCE' as your search criteria and click 'Go'. Gladiator is not an RCE disc. As for the FBI warning, according to the Techtronics instructions that came with the player, I quote verbatim;

To play RCE discs on the Toshiba 210 and Toshiba 900.
    Play another region 1 disc first up to the FBI logo.
    Eject.
    Play the RCE disc as normal.

Pretty straightforward. In my experience you don't have to wait for the warning to finish but you must see the warning appear on screen at the very least. Try it out, if you still have problems let me know and I'll see if there is another disc that does the trick. In theory any R1 disc should switch the region, I tried one and it didn't work, the next disc I tried was Hannibal and it did the trick.

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I use StarWars E1 to do a RCE swap out on my 900e to then play RCE discs and it always works.......so far!

You say you have one of the first released models ey, well yes this did have a different firmware and I sure in saying it came out just before RCE titles did. If you really can't get this to work then consider a chip upgrade from (and for my sins I can't believe Im recommending them) Leading Edge Concepts.

City Link couriors will collect and deliver for 16 smackeroonies anywhere in UK, but you'll have to haggle with LEconcepts for a chip upgrade price, Im sure their be fair, well theres no harm asking.

Ask for Serb the manager and tell him, that pain from portsmouth recommended you, then tell me what he says ;)
    That'll gurantee you a discount!

Some RCE titles are:-
    The Patriot
    Hollow Man
    Urban Legends
    Charlie's Angels
    6th Day
    AntiTrust

Or for your older Tosh you can try:-
    1. When the disc is inserted press stop several times to prevent it loading
    2. Press the memory button
    3. Press 01 for title
    4. Press 01 for chapter
    5. Press play
    6. Press clear to reset the front panel display
    7. Tell me what happens

Good luck

8. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Snowman

Cheers mate, I got it to work. Thanks to everyone who offered help.

Kane