rcam DV27

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by graham.myers, Jun 5, 2002.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking through various threads about the Arcam DV27 DVD player.

it seems the mutts nuts, but then for £1600 it should be!

I've currently got a component out enabled american player and I'm using dodgy patched together [email protected] cable. And its not progressive

I'm about to order some component cable from The Media Factory.

Amonst a thousand other combinations I *was* considering the denon 2800 but there seems to be a few issues. So now I'm looking at the DV27.

One thread seems to suggest that to watch a PAL progressive and a NTSC progressive I have to do some cable switching. Is this true?

Looking at the pictures on what video & tv review there does seem two component outs - 1 labelled component, the other labelled progressive.

Seven Oaks indicate that its remote switchable for region coding. Can it be chipped so its automatic?

If I'm ordering from meida factory, I might as well order what I'll need in the future (i.e. an extra set of compy cables). They say phono to BNC x3 for component video. Don't I need phono to phono?

Also is £1600 the only price available? pricerunner doesn't find anybody.

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The DV27 comes with a progressive component card already installed so it does have 2 sets of component outputs. Out of the box, only the NTSC part of the progressive card is enabled so you need to "hack" the machine via the handset so that both PAL and NTSC use the progressive outputs. The PAL progressive is quite noticably better.

As for the connections, the Arcam has RCA (phono) but it depends what you are connecting it to. My Sony VW11 also has RCA connections.

It is possible to make the machine auto-region but I'm not sure of the code.

Price wise you will be very lucky to find a retailer discounting as Arcam don't like this! If you do find one, Arcam (I believe) will not give you their 2 year warranty.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be plugging the dv27 into a VW10HT so its phono same as yours

In order to watch an NTSC disc in progressive and then want to watch a PAL progressive do you have to do something to the cables or some other twiddling.

The region free hack I have since found says use region code 13 for region free

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you wouldn't have to swap cables, the progressive signal is from one set of outputs and the interlaced from another. If the multi region capability is the same as the DV88 (which I suspect it will be) then it should be automatic. There is an option I believe to make it automatic (the code 13 you mentioned) or to set it to a certain region. By the way you could save yourself about £1000 and consider the Philips 962SA (see www.hivizone.com) which has SACD too and about the best de-interlacing you can hope for (Faroudja DCDi), PAL and NTSC progressive.. I'd be suprised if the DV27 is £1000 better than that to be honest!

Cheers
    Andy

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you enable PAL progressive then both PAL and NTSC progressive use the same connections so there is no need to swap them over. This is the card-like connections located near the topside of the casing - the "on-board" connections become redundant. I'll send you a personal message for this.

I've not tried 13 as the region yet but setting it to 1/2/4 works fine.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use 13, so I don´t have to change codes, and it works fine...

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    If you are looking to get a dv27 the make sure the dealer upgrades the software and drive firmware to the latest versions for you ...

you have pm re enabling progressive pal

enjoy it

Jon

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joint