1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RCA versus Digi Coax versus Optical - Expert advice needed!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lhalha, Jun 2, 2004.

1. lhalha

lhalha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me, which is a better way to connect the audio of my HK DVD21 to my HK AVR4550?

1. Optical
    2. standard digital electronic connection BUT using a standard (but good quality) RCA lead as opposed to a proper digi coax lead?
    3. digi coax lead

In fact - does one need to use a "proper" digi coax lead or is a good quality standard RCA lead okay?

Thanks,

lhalha

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think there is much difference between the optical and digital connection but I recommend a "digital cable" (with 75 Ohm impedance) if you listen to music (CDs).
    I couldn't tell a difference between a RCA and digital coax listening to DD or DTS but I believe to hear one when listening to PCM tracks.

BTW: Video-RCA cables can be used as digital coax since they are also 75 Ohm.

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello lhalha,

The optical versus coax question is never easy. Depends on each application really.

For coax, the connectors are just as important as the cable, so connectors as near to 75 ohm as possible are ideal. (Canare)

There is a good post here in the Cables forum. Some good reading !

You can find a cable perfect for the job for £20 here :) :)

Any cable will work, some are much better than others however.

Mark.

4. lhalha

lhalha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark - I am actually in Australia so won't be making a purchase, but by the looks of things you have a lot of happy customers...

Thanks for all the info.

Anyway, it's bedtime for me here and I think if I read that cable bible now I would have a pretty weird night's sleep, so I'll leave it for tomorrow!!!

Cheers

lhalha